Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Noob Help

Noob Help

Have just upgraded from the woeful Win8 to the slightly less woeful Win 8.1

The path of my database used to be User/PC1Documents/Act/ActData/Databases but now the path has changed to "Tim" or "This PC" instead of user.

I can see the path through but when I try to open the .PAD file I get an error "ACT failed to open a connection to the database"

It asks me to check I dont have firewall issues. Has anyone else encountered this and most importantly do they have a solution?

Kind Regards

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Noob Help

The path would just change PC1Documents to Tim.

Best is to delete the PAD file with Act! closed
Open Act!
File Open
Change File Type to ADF
Open the database ADF
This will check the database and re-create the PAD file

Tried that - get a differemt error-

"The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database check your network connection and verify that your database server is available . It may be neccessary to disable any firewall sortware on your computer or the server.

Not sure that it is the firewall as I am amble to create and reopen a database at the new location. The old ones are there but not accessible, I have tried impoting the data but get a similar error. I'm stumped now.

Ok, I have and I am currently in the Act Diagnostics toll.

The new database I created shiows ok but the old ones have under the following tabs the following results.

Status: Recove.........................................................................the new one has "ONLINE"

Size: 79.25

Version : (Blank)..................................................................... the new one has 15.1.97.0

Syncing; (null) .........................................................................the new one has "No"

Locked: (null)...........................................................................The new one has "unlocked"

Created on: 01/10.13

Shared: Null.............................................................................The new one says "no"

File path - it is still showing the old one despite me editing the .PAD in the earlier tutorial

Options : (blank)......................................................................The new one has SIMPLE RECOVERY etc.

If I could upload a screenshot I would but all the salient points are above.

Many thanks for all your help.