Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Nonstandard SMTP settings

Nonstandard SMTP settings

I have ATT-Yahoo for my ISP. They require an SMTP setting of Port 465 for outgoing mail (requires authentication) and 110 incoming. Will these make it impossible to use the built-in email client in Act 2010? Secondarily, will it cause problems with using Act 2010 and Outlook?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Nonstandard SMTP settings

Again, thank you. It looks like redirecting or masking the ports as suggested as a possible solution in your link might be more than I want to get into, so I will take the general advice and go with Outlook. It is obvious that you know what you talk about and I certainly appreciate that. So often on bulletin boards there are quite a few posters who are misinformed. I, and I am sure, many others appreciate your reasoned responses that actually address the questions raised.
Nickel Elite Contributor

I have a blog article about setting up ACT! and GMail - which will also work for your settings, or really any mail setup.  The "standard" ports of 110 & 25 aren't so standard any more, most ISPs are switching.  Hope this helps...
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Richard,

Thanks so much! Yes, that should help a lot. I appreciate your taking the time to share. You are right, I am most likely not the only person with the problem since the 'old standard' is no longer standard. Once I learn a few things, maybe I can help others here too.

I am tempted to try this with a WordPerfect installation with their email software. It should work just as well with your suggestions. If I do, I wil report back, but not sure I will do it.

I used to use Filemaker Pro, but getting it to integrate with Outlook or any email program was tough. Sent messages fine. But linking replies with contacts was hard, even with a well-known add-in.