Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

No help from Sage

No help from Sage

[ Edited ]

I have some questions I've been trying to get answered by Sage doesn't reply to emails, stopped responding on their chat window, and doesn't reply to their on-line form requesting contact.  I've never had a company try so hard NOT to get a sale.  That worries me when I'm thinking of investing in their product.   Are they really as bad at serving their customers as they are at making sales?  Ironic that a company that makes software to help sales people [Edit.content removed per community guidelines] so bad at the sales business.   </end rant>

I have Act 2000 and am thinking about upgrading to 2010 but I have some questions.  I tried to use the "Which version is right for me?" tab to get more information however the link on your site takes me nowhere.  I finally was able to get to the page from a link on the FAQ list but found the page really didn't give me the information I was looking for.  I'm looking for more detailed differences between the versions, or a guide where I answer several well thought questions that help me determine the right version for my needs.

In the version I have now anyone can add, delete, or modify any entry from any person.  There's no security.  For example one employee can add a note to an account's records and another employee can come along later and delete or change that note.  It's created a lot of problems.  Is that disastrous bug still in the current version?  How are accounts protected against poaching and modification by other sales reps.?  How extensive are these controls? Can I have authorize a person as an account manager and give them pretty much full access but still allow others to post to the account, just not to change contact info or existing notes?

I have a friend with a more current version of Act and I asked him to test this for me however to both our surprise, he found he could not create a second user.  His software comes up and says he has a single user license and won't allow him to add a second user.   How does the licensing work then?  I can't buy six licenses and use them all with the same database?  If I can't create a second user... how can I control what those other licensed users are doing to the database where I'm an administrator?  How can multiple users share the same database if you can't have more than one user?

I can't help but laugh a bit when the site says I'm not a small business because I have six employees.  Most government forms use anything under 500 as a small business.  Five seems to be some sort of cut-off with the software. What's the difference between a five user version and a six user version, or how are the number of users licensed since they seem to want to throw my tiny company on the same level as GE I'm concerned that I can't afford this.  

Is the license a timed license that requires me to renew it every year or can I continue to use it as long as I want (such as I've done with my  Act!2000)?

Will my existing database update to the new version?

Can I host my database on a Windows 2003 server and run the clients on XP or Windows 7 via the LAN?  This ties in with the license confusion above.

Can I create custom fields and do searches or filters on those fields? Is that in every version of Act! or just specific ones?

What kind of security do I have to prevent an unhappy employee from stealing all the records in the database?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later but there seems to be so little real information on the site I'm sure I'll have to come back to ask.  If you could answer these questions for now that would be helpful.

Message Edited by ghollister on 06-03-2010 10:05 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: No help from Sage

Let me try and summarize:

1) what version is right for me.?  There is some overlap in functionality. There is nothing special about a 5 userlicense. We can sell you any number of licenses you want.  We generally reccomend Premium for groups of 3-4 or more as it has more features for groups. In your case given your security concerns, Premium is the only one that even attempts to address these concerns.

2) how long  can I use the license?  The license is yours to use as long as you wish. Keep in mind that you can purchase upgrade assurance (called platinum care) which entitles you to upgrades and patches as long as you keep it up.  But it is not required.

3) security ACT Security Whitepaper (here)

4) Customization- ACT Customization Whitepaper (here)

5) Updating the current Database- Yes you can update the database.  the steps are documented(here) or use your favorite consultant (here)

7) System Requirements - yes you can run on Win 2003 server and XP /Win 7 clients as described.  See ACT by Sage System Requirements (here)

If you want a live person to talk to about this. I'm available.  Short call is no charge.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello cdsJerry,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. I would first like apologize for the difficulty you have had in getting online information regarding ACT! 2010. Unfortunately, we were having some systems issues on Tuesday and Wednesday that affected online chat and our e-store. I assure you it is not Sage's practice to ignore people with questions regarding our products. I will attempt to answer the questions you have in the order you listed them, as well as provide links to relevant Knowledgebase articles:

In the version I have now anyone can add, delete, or modify any entry from any person.  There's no security.  For example one employee can add a note to an account's records and another employee can come along later and delete or change that note.  It's created a lot of problems.  Is that disastrous bug still in the current version?  How are accounts protected against poaching and modification by other sales reps.?  How extensive are these controls? Can I have authorize a person as an account manager and give them pretty much full access but still allow others to post to the account, just not to change contact info or existing notes?

ACT! 2000 was not focused on workgroups so did not have much group security in place. However, ACT! 2010 does have some features that can restrict user access. There are essentially two tiers to ACT! 2010 - Standard and Premium. The Premium product is designed more for workgroups and has an added access level called Limited Access. This allows you to assign which users have access to which contacts. In addition, there is an option to disallow editing of Notes and Histories. See KB articles: 15228, 15284, 19185, 18058

I have a friend with a more current version of Act and I asked him to test this for me however to both our surprise, he found he could not create a second user.  His software comes up and says he has a single user license and won't allow him to add a second user.   How does the licensing work then?  I can't buy six licenses and use them all with the same database?  If I can't create a second user... how can I control what those other licensed users are doing to the database where I'm an administrator?  How can multiple users share the same database if you can't have more than one user?
The way that ACT! licenses work is that you are required to have one license for every unique active user you have...this can be in more than one database. So if you have 2 databases with 2 unique users, you will need 2 licenses. However, you can have 2 databases that use the same user and will only need 1 license. You can create as many users as you want (limit 10 in the Standard version, no limit in Premium), but you can make as many Active as the number of licenses you have. In a multi-user environment, each machine would register with a serial number. On the server machine, you would register with that same serial number and that will add the number of licenses associated with that number to the database. So a 5-User serial number would give you the ability to have 5 active users in that shared database. See KB articles: 24303, 15314, 19474

Is the license a timed license that requires me to renew it every year or can I continue to use it as long as I want (such as I've done with my  ACT! 2000)?

No, the ACT! licenses do not have an expiration date.

Will my existing database update to the new version?

Yes, you can convert your ACT! 2000 database to ACT! 2010. See this KB article: 25175

Can I host my database on a Windows 2003 server and run the clients on XP or Windows 7 via the LAN?  This ties in with the license confusion above.

Yes, you can have ACT! and the database on a 2003 Server and host to clients on Windows XP SP3, Vista, and Windows 7. I regards to the licenses, just ensure you have purchased and added enough licenses to the database on the server to support the number of active users. To clarify, a "user" is login, not an install.

Can I create custom fields and do searches or filters on those fields? Is that in every version of Act! or just specific ones?

Yes. You can create as many custom fields as you like in multiple areas of the program and perform several different kinds of searches (quick lookups, advanced queries, keyword searches, lookup by example) on those fields. This is available in all versions of ACT! 2010.

What kind of security do I have to prevent an unhappy employee from stealing all the records in the database?

ACT! has different security levels which allow for different types of permissions. For example, a Standard user (most common in a shared database) cannot import or export data from the database. See KB 15284 (link in previous answer) for a complete list of security levels and their relevant permissions. Also, access to contacts can be restricted using Limited Access (Premium version only). And a user login can be made inactive by Administrator to prevent them logging into the database at all.

If you decide to upgrade to ACT! 2010, you will receive 30 days of free getting started technical support to help you with the installation of ACT! 2010 and upgrade of your 2000 database.

I have also attached a .pdf file that compares the Standard and Premium versions of ACT! to help you decide which version may be best for you. The chart is for ACT! 2009, but the comparisons are also valid for ACT! 2010.

I hope I have been able to answer your immediate questions to your satisfaction. If you would like to talk to a Sales representative to get more information regarding ACT! 2010 pricing, please call (877)501-4496. Also feel free to post additional questions or concerns to this forum, as myself and I'm sure other Community members will be happy to assist.

Message Edited by ghollister on 06-03-2010 11:13 AM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you!  I'm off to do some reading.  Thanks for the links. My first glance looks like there's good information there.

sage is of no help. Evertime you call they will tell you the product is no longer supported. Use a different product!

My origional post was three years ago so this thread is a bit out of date. I did end up buying the new version and multiple licenses. I didn't learn about the SQL needs on the server until after the installation. To this day I can't run any reports from Act which they say is a problem on my server in spite of my wiping the hard drive an re-installing both the OS and Act and still having the same problem. My conclusion is that this market is ripe for a new company to enter because the product and support in Act are pretty sketchy yet it's something almost every business needs. It's ripe for a new player with some nice working software.

Hello JSEB,
Welcome to the ACT! Community. While we do not support older versions of ACT!, if you have an issue or question with your version, please make a new post in this forum with the details.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hello cds_Jerry,
I'm sorry to hear of the reporting issues your are experiencing. If you would like some additional assistance, please create a new topic in this forum with the details of your issue.

Greig Hollister

Thanks. I already did, and was told it must be my system again. LOL so a clean install of Windows is a problem. Got it. I'll worry about it again the next time I need to upgrade.