Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

No Option for Datastore Location under Database Fixes

No Option for Datastore Location under Database Fixes

I'm trying to get ACT 2006 to work over a VPN connection. I get the "cannot find database supplemental files" error. I keep seeing instructions to go into act8diag, Database Fixes then to Datastore Location. Mine doesn't have Datastore Location. The bottom of that menu is Preferences.

Re: No Option for Datastore Location under Database Fixes

The option to change datastore location is only available in ACT! 2007 and above.  Follow the Error When Opening a Shared Database section in the KB article below.

Error Message "Cannot find database supplemental files folder <Database Name> in this location <Comp... 

I've followed that KB article twice. The only thing I can't do is the part under "How to change the datastore location for a shared database", which you said is only available in 2007. I wish the KB articles were more clear about that. Even after manually changing the server name to the IP in the PAD file, if I go to Help > About > Database Information, it still shows the location of the supplemental files as the server name, not the IP. Any other suggestions? I can open files via VPN, so I know the connection is working. The database has been successfully shared over a LAN for over a year, so I know that's working.

There is a way to make that change.  As I recall, it is holding a key or something while opening the Database Information off of About ACT.  I had a database and had to do this long ago.  Now, adding a new database, I have to do the same thing and cannot remember the 'trick'.

Actually, I found a workaround by editing the .hosts file.