Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

No Contacts Showing in .RDB

Astute Commentator

No Contacts Showing in .RDB

Dear Community,

Does an act! 2009 .rdb have to be synchronized with the main database before the contacts show up in the remote db?  The imported rdb shows no contacts, however its 11MB.  The contacts are set to public and the sync set is correct and installed, however the contacts do not show up in the remote users database.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Xalz

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: No Contacts Showing in .RDB

You can't open an RDB file to see *anything* that's in there.  You Restore an RDB file, which creates the ACT data structure (files, ADF, ALF, and PAD files), which then will prompt you to sync with the server upon first open.  Even if you don't choose to sync right away, if the RDB was created properly, you'll see contacts.

If you've restored, and if you're not seeing any contacts (you should at least see the user(s)), then the remote was not made correctly (i.e. sync set) or the permissions on the contacts in the main database are such that the username/password you're using to open the newly created database does not have access to those contacts.

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Astute Commentator

Thanks Richard.  I will check the RDB user naming conventions again.  We can see the (users) and the RDB is 11MB, so I would think the contacts are there.  The contacts themselves are all set to public.  Thanks for the heads up on not needing to sync right away... that eliminates another possible error path.

Happy Holidays 

Astute Commentator

Richard is it possible the license for the new user is holding us up?  In the main database, under "manage users" the new remote user is showing as "Active-Pending" even though we have activated his license key form the main database and on the remote instance of ACT!.  The contact card permissions are all set to public and the user name and password matches in the main database and the remote database, plus he has permissions for a "standard" security role, "remote administration", and "manage sync subscription list".  What are we missing?

Nickel Elite Contributor

As soon as that user logs in for the first time, the "status" of the user will change to Active.  They don't have to logon to the server first, logging on to their remote copy will work just as well. (when they sync it'll change the status on the server).

How many contacts are on the server?  The one thing that might be happening is if you've used Limited Access on the contacts, possibly with Teams of Users, and this new user is not part of one of the Teams that has access.

However, you said all the contacts are set to Public, which kind of eliminates that, I just wanted to make sure *all* the contacts are public (not just the user).

Without seeing the server, the last shot-in-the-dark would be you have a sync set that is configured to *not* sync all contacts.  On the server, if you go to Lookup>Advanced>Sync Set, you can choose the sync set(s) and see who gets what.

Richard Brust
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Astute Commentator

All the contacts are definitely set to public.  Initially, I did not have our database shared out, however that has been corrected.  I am not selecting myself as a user of the remote database, only setting a Client relations representative.  Should I put both of us in as users?

When I go to Lookup --> Advanced --> Sync Set --> and choose the Sync Set, then a blank contact card comes up.  Not sure why that is...  In the Sync Set set up I have chosen 14 states containing thousands of contacts with the following logic commands within the Sync Set:

Field Type "Contact", Field Name "State", Operator "Equal to =", Value "CA" (with additional state abbrevations for each state), And/Or "And" and the the last state is set to "End".  Can you please attempt to give me a couple of more possible errors?   

Also, when I go into the Synchronization Panel and attempt to delete the bad sync sets I get a message that says, "This Sync Set is linked to an active or disabled remote database and cannot be deleted."  How can I delete the broken Sync Sets?

If all this fails I will likely be ponying up for support, however I would rather spend the resources on other marketing needs, etc.  We need this to work though and I am reticent in moving away from ACT! with all the work and knowledge of its basic functioning.  

Thanks again, Richard.  May your efforts to help me be returned to you tenfold.

Astute Commentator

Richard, we are using the Professional version and not the Premium. It let's us walk through the RDB process, but not actually set one up. I will likely just be transferring the entire .PAD to overcome the problem, while considering an upgrade for 2012.
Silver Super Contributor

It sounds like your sync set query needs a little adjusting.  A person can't be in both "CA" and "CO" so you need for the sync set to say State = "CA" OR State = "CO", etc.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Silver Super Contributor

It should let you set one up.  How did you create the one you're trying to restore from?  You might want to look into working with an ACT! Certified Consultant.  They can help you get all of this working and help you get the most out of your marketing dollars too.  You can find a local ACC at www.act.com/acc although these days you can get support over the web just as easily.  Richard is also an ACC and a good one.  I'm sure he'd be happy to help you out.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

Good head's up, Stan.  I have adjusted the Sync Set and will attempt it one more time prior to transferring the entire .PAD.