Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Next/Previous company buttons, in company look-up (Act 2012)

Copper Super Contributor

Next/Previous company buttons, in company look-up (Act 2012)

Hi,

I currently own Act 2011 Pro. 

I wondered whether Sage have resolved an issue I noticed in Act 2012...so I'd be grateful if any Act 2012 users could check this for me.

Next/Previous buttons in Company lookup

In Act 2011, when creating a look-up from "Contacts", the "List View" is displayed.  I can then use the "Go to Previous Contact" and "Go to Next Contact" buttons at the top in either "List View" or "Detail View".

I would like to make better use of companies but if I create a look-up from any company field, on the "Companies" tab, those Next/Previous buttons are not available in Act 2011.

Are those Next/Previous buttons available on the "Companies" tab in Act 2012?

Keyboard access in list of companies

In Act 2011, on the "Companies" tab, to the left of the details, there is a list of all companies.

Assuming this list is still present, can we now press keys to move the view down the list?

Thanks in advance,

David

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Next/Previous company buttons, in company look-up (Act 2012)

I think the answers are no and no.

Mark

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP
Bronze Super Contributor

2012 still does not have the left/right previous/next buttons in the toolbar of the company view...

As far as keyboard buttons to move through the list of companies, don;t think that is any different than in 2011 - the answer is "kind of".  If the focus is set to a company name in the list, using the up and down arrows on your keyboard will move you up or down through the list of companies.  However, as soon as you click on something else on the screen, you will not be able to do that again until you highlight a company name by clicking one with the mouse...

Copper Super Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't very clear re: keyboard access...when referring to keyboard access, I meant if I type in HSB, the viewport would jump down to the first match, like HSBC.

I'm finding that this product just isn't moving forward. I was amazed at how little improvement there was from V2008 to V2011.

Astute Commentator

OMG...the lack of Next / Prev buttons for lookups at the Company Level is a HUGE problem for us. We just performed a major conversion of data that was "Contact-Centric" (users did not utilize the Company->Contact relationship) to a properly structured "Company-Centric" data structure. Previously, users who were used to living in a Contact-Record-Only world utilized the Next / Prev buttons on a Contact Lookup HEAVILY. Not having this at the Company level is a disaster. I can tell you that people here will loath ACT for this now and there will be clamoring to go to SalesForce.com. This is a no-brainer feature to have and should not be too hard to implement. If anyone from Sage is reading this...and judging from previous posts where this was noted almost a year ago I have my doubts...please add this fundamental user interface element to your product. Because now...thanks to this...I will have a mutiny on my hands. Arrrggghhh...
Copper Elite Contributor

If you enable the "Show Look For" (from the Options menu on the right side of the list window), you will be able to do exactly what you want.

Mark Rogers
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks for the reply!  Much appreciated.

It begs the question, why did Act hide this away?

Unfortunately we still can't create look ups of companies.

And worse still (something I didn't mention above) we can't create auto populated groups of companies - only contacts.

Because companies are so weak, I don't use them.  I still treat a contact as if it was company, like like I did in Act 6 many, many years ago.

Copper Elite Contributor

Why can't you create Company Lookups?  The interface is a bit different than Contacts, but the lookups can be created in a very similar way.

I am not sure what your Use Case is for the auto-population of Companies, but would like to hear about it so that I may understand what you are trying to achieve.

Relating to your last comment about companies being weak, we also sometimes treat companies as contacts but also use real Companies.  I can see why you would want to use it that way.

Mark Rogers
Astute Commentator

Hmm...the "Options->Show Look For" only revealed a search box to narrow down the lookup list...but that's not what I or the original poster was talking about (if I understand the original post correctly). There are no [<] PREV ... NEXT [>] buttons nor is there a COUNT of the Company records produced by the lookup. I tried to create a custom toolbar but the Prev / Next buttons are only available for Contact Records and not Company Records. Am I missing something here?
Astute Commentator

Actually, I'm not even sure what the "Look For" box does. I type stuff in there hit Enter and takes me to some random contact in some random company. Need to play with that a little more.