Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Newbie needs help

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Newbie needs help

HI,

My laptop crashed recently with my Act!2012 database in it. I recovered the PAD file from the hard drive, reinstalled Act! on my new laptop but I can't seem to be able to open my previous database anymore, I keep getting a message saying the "SQL Database instance is unavailable". I checked and SQL is working fine for other programs. Can anyone shed some light for a total newbie?

I'm also looking at setting this database as a remote database to share with my co-worker. We all work remotely, so we don't have a shared exchange server or anything of the sort. Is there as easy user-friendly way to share the database without having to set up a VPN?

Thanks a lot!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author carbontalks
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Re: Newbie needs help

First, in addition to the .pad file, your going to need the .adf file at the very least, if you can also get the .alf that would also be helpful. The .pad file is simply a pointer/shortcut file and contains no data. The .adf is the actual database file that contains all of the data. The .alf is the log file, which makes moving a database easier but isn't essential.

SQL is likely already installed on the PC, but the ACT7 instance hasn't been created and as a result Act is unable to connect to SQL. 

Here's a couple of KB's that'll explain your next steps better than I could:

How to move a database

SQL Database Instance Unavailable

How to setup network synchronization

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author carbontalks
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

First, in addition to the .pad file, your going to need the .adf file at the very least, if you can also get the .alf that would also be helpful. The .pad file is simply a pointer/shortcut file and contains no data. The .adf is the actual database file that contains all of the data. The .alf is the log file, which makes moving a database easier but isn't essential.

SQL is likely already installed on the PC, but the ACT7 instance hasn't been created and as a result Act is unable to connect to SQL. 

Here's a couple of KB's that'll explain your next steps better than I could:

How to move a database

SQL Database Instance Unavailable

How to setup network synchronization

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Thanks! I managed to restore the database to my new laptop. I'm now trying to create the remote database. I've enabled incoming syncs and created a syncset and added the 3 users who will be involved. The only problem I still have is that I cannot seem to be able to create the remote database from the sync panel. It remains in grey. Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers!

Found the solution on the community... I just needed to launch Act! as an administrator...