Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Newbie: Updating records

Newbie: Updating records

I am quite familiar with mysql and php and update records all the time. However, I am using Act!2008 for contact management. I decided to buy it instead of building my own. I am hiring out, to a foreign third party, to collect information on 1200 records in my act database. I would then like to take this information and update my Act contacts. Currently I have: Website Address: These contractors are going to visit the website and gather: Name: Address: Phone: Fax: I'm not sure If I can give these contractors access to my act database. (Not Prefered), or pull in their information from a MS Excel spread sheet. I do not want to wipe out my current database as it's got a bunch of notes and hours of work. Thanks
Canadian Money Advisor

Re: Newbie: Updating records

I am a firm believer that only one person should be in charge of the import/export, with ACT or any database program! That should be the administrator, a.k.a. you. Have them submit a spreadsheet. Even rekeying data is faster than cleaning up a bad import.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Newbie: Updating records

Unfortunately, ACT! doesn't do a field level merge in it's import. It will replace all the fields when updating a contact (but notes/histories,etc will be ok)

itImport will do what you're after if you need field updates