Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Newbie Eval Question: Database Location, Sharing, etc.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Newbie Eval Question: Database Location, Sharing, etc.

The eval proceeds ACT 2010 Premium. Initially on 2 stations. One station (XP Pro Svp3) is installed. I went to install a New Database. I was suprised that Act told me that my database must be on my local drive.

I think I would prefer to have my database on my server where all my act users can get to it. Am I not understanding how Act is supposed to work? Does each act user have his or her own database, and then those databases synchronize?

I beg pardon for the elementary nature of this question. My goal is a database of Customers, Clients, Employees, Consultants, Vendors... in fact, anyone brave or foolish enough to hand me a business card or exist in my multitude of address books, and make that data available to my marketing, development, and delivery groups in such a way that any interaction between any group and any of the Act Contacts is available to all. That's what Act is for Right? Please set me straight. -Eric.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ehosen
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: Newbie Eval Question: Database Location, Sharing, etc.

The reason for this is that ACT requires SQL to deliver the database to your client machines. This is different than Old ACT which was just a series of flat files with no database engine.  So, on the server, you would need to at least install the ACT version of SQL if not the entire program.  This does not burn up a liscense.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

If you want to share a database then you need to have ACT! installed on the server and create the database there and share it over your network.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by topic author ehosen
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Contributor

The reason for this is that ACT requires SQL to deliver the database to your client machines. This is different than Old ACT which was just a series of flat files with no database engine.  So, on the server, you would need to at least install the ACT version of SQL if not the entire program.  This does not burn up a liscense.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Ah, Ok, Thanks! We proceed...