Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Newbie: Act 2008 Database on same server as Exchange - What is the best approach?

Newbie: Act 2008 Database on same server as Exchange - What is the best approach?

Hi all,

I am a new user of ACT! 2008 and i'm pretty excited with all the impressive features even though there are some that i could see a need to improve on. I am currently building a contact database and plan to add the link software for Quickbooks etc.

Once i've done with the design and functunality i plan to move it all to our Win2003 server that also serves as a Exchange server. My question is: Can I host the ACT database on the same SQL server as Exchange is using or do i have to install a seperate instance of SQL Express? Also, do i need to install a local copy of ACT 2008 on the server and does it require its own ACT license? As i only bought one license so far of the regular version of ACT! 2008 I am still flexible to upgrade to Premier if that is more suitable for coexistance with Exchange.

Also, since i'm here i might put another question out there: What is the best way to handle member subscription invoicing with recurring cycles? The ideal way would be to have invoices automatically generated depending on dates that you define, i have however not been able to find any add-ons or functunality that provides this feature.

Thanks for a great product and forum.

John

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Newbie: Act 2008 Database on same server as Exchange - What is the best approach?

While ACT! will install on a machines running Exchange (I run mine on an Exchange server), there are a could of caveats... it really depends on the number of users (Exchange and ACT!).

Exchange will take any available RAM and never releases it. So, if wanting a large number of user, you'd want it on a seperate server.

You do need ACT! installed on the server, but it doesn't require it's own license as ACT! is licensed by the users

Invoicing is best done by an accounting system

Re: Newbie: Act 2008 Database on same server as Exchange - What is the best approach?

Mike,

Thank you for your quick reply, i've viewed some of your many previous posts which has been very helpful in planning for a successful implementation of ACT!

The server in question will handle only about 5 active users and the only applications installed would be Exchange and ACT and of course Anti-Virus software. The load should be ok considering the Hardware.

You said it might create some caveats hosting the exchange and ACT on the same DB... I am looking for the solution that is the most stable, with this in mind i do not want to jeopardize any of the functionality of the Exchange server by added the ACT database. Is it better to let the ACT installation add the SQL Express and that way been them seperate? As I understand this is also possible. Please give your feedback on what might be the downside of cohosting Exchange and ACT.

I've been trying to figure out which version to ultimately select for my implentation, as i understand it the main difference with the Premier version is that it offers the Web interface and remote sync options. However, the remote sync is possible via VPN as i understand from reading other posts. Are there any other concerns i should be aware of when deciding which edition to go for?

Also, i added the Automatic Field Calculations (AFC) add-on which works great for individual records, however i need to be able to run the same kind of calculations on a whole group or lookup... The support at AFC confirmed that this is not possible with the current version of AFC. Basically i need to calculate dates... Any ideas?

Thanks

John

I am trying to figure out how to calc. dates based off another ACT! date field to establish deadlines similar to yours.  I have downloaded the test version of the Automatic Field Calculations by exponenciel to see if it will work.  I'm hoping an expert can tell us that the DateAdd function really should work for what we are trying to do.  However, I can't get it to work on an individual record or a lookup.  As soon as I tell it to calculate, the screen freezes and a few moments later, my ACT! window closes out entirely.    I'm also hoping someone will know what I'm doing wrong Smiley Happy.  I did figure out that to talk "dates" with ACT! you have to include the time stamp as well (01/01/2008 12:00:00 AM will display as 01/01/2008 where the system won't recognize 01/01/2008 as a date format).  That took a little trial and error to figure out.  If I hear anything, I will add back to this post. 
Platinum Elite Contributor

jatsson wrote:

You said it might create some caveats hosting the exchange and ACT on the same DB... I am looking for the solution that is the most stable, with this in mind i do not want to jeopardize any of the functionality of the Exchange server by added the ACT database. Is it better to let the ACT installation add the SQL Express and that way been them seperate? As I understand this is also possible. Please give your feedback on what might be the downside of cohosting Exchange and ACT.

You won't have any issues with functionality... the only thing is that if ACT!'s performance is really slow, you might need to move it to it's own server.

I've been trying to figure out which version to ultimately select for my implentation, as i understand it the main difference with the Premier version is that it offers the Web interface and remote sync options. However, the remote sync is possible via VPN as i understand from reading other posts. Are there any other concerns i should be aware of when deciding which edition to go for?

The non-Premium version will always install it's own SQL Express instance, the Premium ones can use either it's own or yous (if you already have SQL CALs)

The Premium version allows 10+ users

The Premium version has more customisation of activities and sales opportunities

The Premium version has additional security functions

Also, i added the Automatic Field Calculations (AFC) add-on which works great for individual records, however i need to be able to run the same kind of calculations on a whole group or lookup... The support at AFC confirmed that this is not possible with the current version of AFC. Basically i need to calculate dates... Any ideas?

I don't know AFC, but try Gilles at http://www.exponenciel.com/