Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New user cannot get started

New user cannot get started

[ Edited ]

I hope this is the right place for a question like this.  I just installed my act 2006 on my dell running XP pro.  The demo cannot be accessed and I cannot start a new database because the master cannot be found.   I do have the MSSQL server icon on that taskbar running.  I did shut off the antivirus when installing and did install the update for it as well.  I did run the "cliconfg" to see that the memory shared protocal is enabled but still cannot start a new database or even see the demo database.  This is my first install of it and I just registered it last week.... frustrated.  Any suggestions are welcomed; have have read postings and attempted many things for about 4 hours without success.

Thanks,

dan

Message Edited by dan@amf on 02-03-2009 06:32 AM
Message Edited by dan@amf on 02-03-2009 06:33 AM
New User, Just installed Act 2006 (8) on XP system and can't open it.
Nickel Contributor

Re: New user cannot get started

If the program will launch but no databases can be accessed the issue is definetly with SQL. In your services menu (start>>run>services.msc) there should be a service running by the name of MSSQL$ACT7.

it is running and set to start automatically

Nickel Contributor

Can you open the diag (start>>run>>actdiag)? Can you create a new database?

(sorry to keep responding w/ more questions, just trying to help get this narrowed down)

with the sytax actdiag    windows cannot find actdiag
Nickel Contributor

Sorry for 2006 it's act8diag

it does start but reads "could not conect to the SQL server instance"
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you can get to the database list it's likely that one of your databases is in recovery or is listed as suspect, if this is the case then: KB 17715

If after a couple attempts you are still unable to reach the database list then your issue is with SQL, then you can either call support and have them see if they can get it installed correctly or you can remove it and try to install it standalone yourself: KB 13631

{Edit: KB linked fixed}

Message Edited by ghollister on 02-03-2009 10:14 AM

[ Edited ]
Thank you.  I did remove and re-install 2 times.  I do not have a database yet b.c. I'm a new user.  I did try to open the demo database-- but was not able to connect.  Nor was I able to start a new one(master not found).  As per support, they already said it's too old for their help-- I should just buy a new copy.  I thought it would be good to try it out first and since I'm on an xp system-- maybe 2006 would be better for me.  Sound like its just not making the server connection.(even though it is on a desktop standalone installation.)
Message Edited by dan@amf on 02-03-2009 07:17 AM
Nickel Contributor

Another thought.. if it's XP SP3 then it probably wont' install.