Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New to ACT! Installation procedure

New to ACT! Installation procedure

I've recently been hired and haven't had to deal much with ACT! Pro 2012 since the product was installed before I was hired (about 5 months ago) and the two users have had a lot of experience with it.

One of those users has left the organization and a replacement has been hired.  While setting up this new person's laptop, I found that nobody knew where the ACT installation disk/manual were located.  I called tech / sales support and was sent a link to download the ACT! Pro 2012 installation media.  That worked very well (KUDOS to the support staff for answering all my questions and quickly providing a solution!).  I now have a disk burned (version 14.1.108.0).  I tried to install it on the new laptop, hoping I'd be asked about a path to the server hosting the database (shared on a server running SQL 2008 Express).  But, unfortunately, it appears to install SQL locally and attaches to the demo database by default.  No big deal.  I found the Open database option and used the link stating that my database isn't listed.  That gave me the opportunity to find the location through a mapped drive of what I'm hoping is the .PAD file being shared.  When I try to open that file I get a warning message:

ACT 2012 Open Shared .PAD file.PNG

I really, really, don't want to mess up the current database in any way/shape/form.  I was given the link to the setup image based on my license number, and have confirmed that Sage ACT! Pro 2012 is what is being used by the other employee wit the current shared database.  The only thing I've noticed in my inspection is that the application I downloaded and am trying to install is version: 14.1.108.0 while the database information button on the server hosting the shared database shows a Schema version of: 14.0.510.2.  Is this where the problem resides?  I responded NO to this window and then CANCEL on the following window asking if the database should be updated.

I do not have access to the person's laptop that has the software in 'working' order as she's out of the office until at least next Monday.  I'm not sure if I should actually back this database up and then try to update it (I generally like to restore databases to ensure that they were backed up correctly before trying to change them in any significant way).

So, what I'm wondering:

1. Should the database I'm trying to connect to require an update because of the difference in the above mentioned versions?

2. Is the backup process reliable enough that I can just backup the database and update it to make the new laptop ACT attach to the shared database correctly?

3. Is opening the database via a mapped drive to the shared ACT location the best way to connect to the database?  It seems like a 'waste' of a drive letter for just a shared database connection.

Thank you in advance for any ideas/help.  I appreciate it.

Todd

Bronze Contributor

Re: New to ACT! Installation procedure

Hello CaptnTony.

While I'm not an engineer, I may be able to shed some light.  Even a minor version change needs to be updated.

First of all, the backup procedure is solid and you shouldn't be concerned. 

If there is a problem with the backup process you will be given a message on screen. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

So, it is a legitimate warning message and I should back it up and proceed to update it.

Will try it tomorrow. May back it up twice, just in case Smiley Happy
Platinum Super Contributor

When sharing an ACT! database, be sure to keep all machines on the same build: check this through Help > About ACT! on each machine.  You'll want them all on v14.0 or all on v14.1.  Mismatched versions will prevent the lower build from accessing the database.

You can find information about the update in KB Article 28507.

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Super Contributor

Also... you can never have too many backups, but if you'd like to test the process: create a backup (File > Backup > Database) and then restore it to a new name (File > Restore > Database > Restore As).
Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for the information. I was just going to login and find out if the user that is out of the office will be restricted from using the converted database.

Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate it.

Todd.