Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New to ACT 2010 and need help with a couple of issues...

New to ACT 2010 and need help with a couple of issues...

Hi there.  I just ordered, downloaded and installed ACT 2010 last night because........well, that's too long of a story and not necessary for resolving my issue.  If this has been covered before, I apologize, but I don't have an unlimited amount of time to hunt for my issues which are: 

1: Since installing this version of ACT on my laptop runing Vista Home Premium 64 bit, when I open my Outlook, a box with ACT in the upper left corner pops up that has a white x in a red circle and says "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."  What the heck does that mean and what do I have to do to get rid of it.  I notice it now takes much longer for my Outlook to open and be ready to go since the install of ACT.

2:  I have ACT 2007 installed on my PC running Windows XP Pro with a lot of contacts from two separate databases that I don't want to have to retype everything into the 2010 version on my laptop.  Is there anyway to back up those contacts on a flash drive or external drive and then "import" them into my databases on my laptop?  It would be really great if all these contacts were able to be transferred as contacts into Outlook as well since I just migrated everything from the much slower pc to the laptop and, again; don't want to have to re enter everything.  Help!!!

If anyone reading this has any knowledge or suggestions, please understand you are responding to someone that does NOT understand the technical aspects of computers and needs really simple step by step help.  Thank you in advance for any help that can be provided.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New to ACT 2010 and need help with a couple of issues...

Hello id2nv2nj2ca,

1: If running Outlook 2007, try running Office Diagnostics from the Help menu. If running Outlook 2003, try running Detect & Repair from the Help menu.

2: Yes. You would need to back up the database on the XP machine, then restore it on the machine with ACT! 2010 (use the Restore As option). When you open the restored database in 2010, the database will go through a conversion process. After that, you can import the contacts from that database into the other databases (one at a time) on that machine. Instructions for database to database imports are in KB Article 22042. Best practices for this process are in KB Article 17539. In order to directly import ACT! contacts into Outlook, you would need a third-party add-on product, such as 123 Synchronizer 2010 for ACT! and Outlook or DoubleLook. You can do a snapshot import of the contacts (contact info only...no notes, histories, or activities) by exporting the ACT! contacts to .csv file, then importing that into Outlook through Outlook's import process.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: New to ACT 2010 and need help with a couple of issues...

Thank you Greig.  I didn't think I would ever get a response.  I have tried your solution to issue number 1, and although running that diagnostic found one error, it did nothing to get rid of the message the pops up as soon as I open Outlook.  It's a nucense(sp?) only, but I wish it wasn't there.  And it wasn't before this new version of ACT was installed.  I have yet to try your suggestions for issue number 2, and will relay my results when that time comes.  Thank you again for your help.