Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New install, new computer, Act is fine then crashes randomly while open, Win 10 and v18 pro

Skilled Commentator

New install, new computer, Act is fine then crashes randomly while open, Win 10 and v18 pro

My last computer died and I was able to get the info off the hard drive and install everything clean on the new computer. 

It is Win 10 with the Anniversary update. I have Act Pro v18. The old computer did not have the Anniversary update but things worked fine.

I installed everything, had the database open, did a sync to Outlook, although that took a few tries. Was glad my calendar and contacts were fine then went to another program. I went back to Act to see something in the calendar and I don't recall exactly what it said but now when I try to reopen it I get "Error accessing Database". The database could not be accessed, check your network connection and verify the server is available. And check firewall software. I've tried to open other random old databases I have and they open fine. It is only this ONE that I obviously need and is the most recent. 

I've seen some random ideas and have tried them. The SQL server is running and fine, I ran the Act Diagnostics v18 tool and I get an error when I try to right click on the database as instructed in another post. I've installed/reinstalled. Tried other databases, tried to open the pad file, the alf file. Everything I can thing of. There was a post with a list of numerous instructions for various options but I'm just exhausted with trying this and 2 weeks of computer issues. 

Is there a simple fix of some kind that anyone has tried? Is tehre a service of someone who can remote in and look? I'm exhausted!

Thanks, 
Misti

Administrator

Re: New install, new computer, Act is fine then crashes randomly while open, Win 10 and v18 pro

[ Edited ]

Hi Misti,

This error can occur in a few different scenarios. We have a Knowledgebase article that offers solutions for many of the causes: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640 If you have not already, I would suggest working though the solutions that apply to your database deployment (shared/local) in order.

If you would like assistance with this issue, and you are covered by a support plan or subscription, you can speak to our technical support team by calling 866 873 2006. Alternatively, we have a network of Act Certified Consultants that can help you with technical issues: http://partners.act.com

Skilled Commentator

Re: New install, new computer, Act is fine then crashes randomly while open, Win 10 and v18 pro

Thanks. The help was just too overwhelming and would have taken me forever to work through. I basically Frankensteined together different databases from various sources starting with a 4 month old back up that I had. I got what I need although not what I wanted and it wasn't too difficult .