Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New database structure

New database structure

I am in the process of bringing together 10 sales people into one database.   I am looking for a way to collect data on a prospects event and store it to the company rather than the individuals (frequent turnover on prospect side).  IE one prospect may have one event a year while another has 35 events a year.

I have been advised to create custom field per individual and "duplicate" the individual for each event.  Their has to me a smarter way than duplicating John Smith 10 x for 10 events.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New database structure

What version of the ACT! program are you using? It sounds like what would work is either the opportunities or a custom table.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

i am working in 2009 and am open to both options.
Platinum Elite Contributor

If you are not using opportunities otherwise, you might be able through the user fields and the main opportunity fields to track the events because the opportunities have a one-to-many relationship with the contact records. The other option is with the version you have is the addition of a custom one-to-many table to the database. That is done through the SDK but you best bet would be to use one of the add-ons that automate the creation of the custom tables.

By the way, the board you posted to is aimed at the standard version of the ACT! program and 10-users is the maximum for the standard version. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129