Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New database administrator needs help

New database administrator needs help

Help, I have a database of about 2500 contacts using Act! Pro 2011. The former administrator had added custom fields for home and work phone numbers and then put some numbers in the custom field and some in the created fields. The business owner wants the database to use only the "standard" fields in ACT.

1. Where can I get a list of the standard ACT fields?

2. How do I get the data from the custom fields into the standard fields?

Once I get that straightened out, I need to be able to sync the ACT database with Outlook and share the database with other users.

Is there a power user in the Minneapolis area who doesn't charge an arm and a leg willing to give me a few lessons?

Thanks.

mary

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New database administrator needs help

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Mary,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Just to expand on what Mike has provided...

Once you've created the New Database, you can print a list of the fields contained in both the New and your Main databases for comparison purposes.  This is done through the ACTDIAG utility. To do this:

1 - click on Windows Start button > if using XP > select RUN.  If using Vista/Windows 7 > use the SEARCH field.

2 - enter the command 'actdiag' and hit enter

3 - when the Actdiag utility opens > click on the header 'Databases' > then select 'Database List'.  You will now see your database names in the window.

4 - left click on the gray box next to the new database name (to highlight the line) > then select Actions > Database Reports > Database Structure > Fields List to CSV file.

5 - perform step 4 for your main database

6 - This will create lists you can open in Excel and compare with each other - to see how many and which are the custom fields in your main database.

Note: Before beginning the copying of data from field to field, it is highly recommended that you create a backup of your database.  This is done using the File > Backup > Database option.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response.

When I tried to open actdiag all I got was a box of this:

at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)

at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()

at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.GetSystemArchitecture()

at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.

at ActDiag.FormACTDiag..ctor()

at ActDiag.FormACTDiag.ւ()

ր()

Then I got a message "actdiag stopped working."

I tried to repair actdiag and that didn't work either.

Any suggestions for what to do next?

Thanks.

Mary

Hi Greg.

Got the actdiag fixed, have printed the csv lists and am in the process of comparing them.

Once I get the fields aligned, we'll see how it goes. I'll probably be back with more questions.

Thanks.

mary

I have the ACT fields chosen that I need to translate.

1. What is the next step for importing the database into the new fields?

2. Is there a way to see if there is a corruption in the old database so I can avoid bringing it into the new database?

Thanks.

mary

Platinum Super Contributor

Mary,

Are you wanting to import the original database into the new database, or copy the data from the customized fields into the original fields?

Here are instructions for importing one database into another: KB Article 17539

You can copy data from one field to another by performing a Lookup > All Contacts (or any other Lookup) and then select Edit > Copy Fields. 

Note: Before making any major changes to your database, always make a backup (File > Backup).

Greg Martin
Sage