Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New contact created but NOTES go into previous contact's NOTES instead! Help please.

Astute Commentator

New contact created but NOTES go into previous contact's NOTES instead! Help please.

When I create a new contact

and I type in a company name

and go immediately to notes and insert a new first time note

ACT accept the note but switches back to the last contact I was on, instead of putting the new note under the new contact.

So, when I click Ok to accept the note, there I am, back on the previous contact with the new note for the new contact pasted under it, instead of under the new contact I had just created for the note.

Very frustrating!

Database maintenance check and repair doesn't fix the problem.

It does not do this every single time, but it does it often enough that I am losing notes because they end up under the wrong contact.

Any ideas? Tech support will no longer support me unless I pay $299 for a year long contract.

Thank you.Smiley Surprised

Silver Contributor

Re: New contact created but NOTES go into previous contact's NOTES instead! Help please.

Try saving the record with the save tool at the top prior to entering a note, history, activity, etc.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Astute Commentator

Re: New contact created but NOTES go into previous contact's NOTES instead! Help please.

I have been doing this "hitting the save button" suggestion before pasting into notes, and it decreases the frequency of the problem, but the problem still occurs.

The problem again is that when I create a new contact and I type in a company name and go immediately to notes and insert a new first time note, ACT accepts the note but switches back to the last contact I was on, instead of putting the new note under the new contact. So, when I click Ok to accept the note, there I am, back on the previous contact with the new note for the new contact pasted under it, instead of under the new contact I had just created for the note.

In fact, when I hit the save button to try to get around this problem, sometimes that makes the ACT database switch back to some previous contact - perhaps the last one being worked on.

Please help me to solve this problem. It's causing me to have the wrong notes with the wrong contacts.

Thank you.

PoweruserMan Sad

Astute Commentator

Anyone have an answer for the problem describe above? Smiley Sad

Astute Commentator

Still cannot solve this problem: 

When I create a new contact and I type in a company name and go immediately to notes, and insert a new note,

ACT accepts the note, but switches back to the last contact I was on, instead of putting the new note under the new contact.

So, when I click Ok to accept the note, I am back on the previous contact with the new note for the new contact pasted under it, instead of under the new contact I had just created for the note.

Very frustrating!

Database maintenance check and repair doesn't fix the problem.

It does not do this every single time, but it does it often enough that I am losing notes because they end up under the wrong contact.

Any ideas? I tried hitting the save button after inputting the company name in the new contact box and that may reduce the frequency of the problem but it still occurs. Thank you. Smiley Happy

Bronze Super Contributor

I've had a very similar problem. Unfortunately, for one of my clients we can't consitently replicate the issue (Sage incident ID 208-37642), this does make it harder to fix. But it's still an open issue in our book.

For my other client with a similar issue this was Sage's advice:

"Sage have advised us to follow the below procedure when creating new contacts in ACT! to avoid issues.

1) Contact List Screen

2) Instead of right click - new contact - use the button OR menu - New Contact"

Which helped some but not much. What we've done for them is create 100 'blank' contacts that they use to create a new contact (overwrite one each time). We then import another 100 'blanks' as required.

If you or anyone else gets a better fix let me know.

Ben.

Platinum Super Contributor

When you are creating the new contact record > is it after having done a Lookup?  The issue could be that the new contact you have created doesn't match the Lookup results and when you click on Save or the Notes tab (initiates a Save) > it is taking you back to a contact in the Lookup results.  Try doing a Lookup > All Contacts before creating your new contact record and then test adding a note.

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Super Contributor

No offense Greg.... but.... that's a pain in the rear.

Here is the senario we see often with our clients that complain to us about this situation:

1. Customer rings up,
  2. staff member does a lookup and finds customer contact record in ACT!,
  3. staff member duplicates contact record to create new contact (this often person employed at the customers site),
  4. staff member enters details on new contact record,
  5. saves the contact record
  6. schedules a new call or meeting with the new contact
  7. BAMMO!!! the call/meeting is scheduled with the contact record in step 2 not step 5.
  8. sales staff turn up to call or meet with the wrong person entirely, the person they should be talking to is thinking "stupid company, make an appointment and then don't ring/turn up"

Major pain in the rear for this call centre taking hundreds of calls a day.

Astute Commentator

Greg,

Now that you mention it, that may be when it happens - after I do a lookup. I will study the situation and report back. Thank you.

Astute Commentator

Ben,

You are right it is a major hassle. Thanks.