Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New computer and old remote database not in sync

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

New computer and old remote database not in sync

I have a sithuation where we got a new server and installed ACT to it and restored the database.  The new server required the users to be re-setup and as a result their remote databases would not open on the laptops.   Not a problem on all but one (the main one).  Although the users were told to sync before we started the upgrade the one user failed to sync for about a week.  We have re-created the remote database and copied it to the laptop and restored it.  Act now opens with the new remote database.  The question is how to get the old database to open and then do the sync.

TIA

Mark

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark6900
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New computer and old remote database not in sync

I believe that ACT! is using the MSSQL database replication that you referred to. Changing the computer names does invalidate the sync setup.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

Unfortunately you won't be able to sync the old remote database, you will need to import that into the new database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Interestingly after making a backup of theold local database I can change the .PAD file to point at the new computer name and location and the database itself can be openned.  I see the contacts and changes made in the last few days.  I went through the Syncronization Panel changing the various locations and computer names.  Unfortunately there appears to be a parameter that is not accessible that needs to be changed.  When I try to Syncronize I get the error "The SQL instance is unavailable".  I do not know if this is using the MSSQL database replication to update the databases, eluded to by using the terms publisher and subscriber.

During the install the local PC name was changed from "frank-pc" to JBS04 and the server was changed from Server1 to JBS-S1.

Am I still up a crick or are there other places that need to be changed to name the SQL instance on the server allowing it to sync?

Mark

Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark6900
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I believe that ACT! is using the MSSQL database replication that you referred to. Changing the computer names does invalidate the sync setup.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129