Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New computer - Database error after transferring file

New computer - Database error after transferring file

I have moved all of my files via Carbonite to a new computer, and installed Act on the new computer.  When I select "Open an existing database" in the Welcome to ACT menu, and browse to the directory where my file exists, I get the following error:

"The database  Syzygy could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check the network connection and verify your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software."

I am not on a network.  I'm pulling this file from my C drive.  Help!

Thanks. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New computer - Database error after transferring file

Try opening the database using the ADF file. The PAD file specifically points to the old computer.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I did that - and it went through the process of trying to open it, and then gave me an error that said "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."  Just went back and tried to open it again, from an ADF file format and I now ge the message: 

Syzygy "You don't have permission to open this file. Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission."

I'm thinking this must have something to do with the new computer name "Syzygy" from my old "Kami-PC" computer name.  I went through the instructions editing the PAD file to the new computer name.  But I renamed the PAD file to "Syzygy2012.pad" from the original "Syzygy.pad."  Do I need to keep it the same name?

I just edited the original PAD file and left the name the same.  Still getting the message when I open the ADF file that I don't have permission to use this file...

I was able to follow the directions on http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21376/kw/new%20computer%20You%20don%27t%20h... 

To open the file... Not all my data transferred though!  Might be a Carbonite date issue... So we can call this issue resolved.  

For future reference, don't depend on a third party backup to properly backup the ACT! database files. Use the ACT! sceduler to backup the database and have the backup utility backup that file. It will avoid the problems you've had.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Roy - I"m backing up the current file on my old computer and will bring it over that way.  Any tricks or tips on importing a backed up file I should know about, or is it pretty straight forward.  I now understand why I need to use the Act backup function! 

No, it is straight forward but you will need to do restore as on the new computer and give the database a new name. Be sure to check out the ACT! scheduler.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129