Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Palm PRE - Sync ideas?

New Palm PRE - Sync ideas?

I really like the new Palm PRE.  I have had a Treo forever and like the sync with ACT.

So the PRE does not have a ACT sync that I can tell, you have to sync with gmail.  So any ideas how to have ACT and Gmail in sync all the time?

Copper Contributor

Re: New Palm PRE - Sync ideas?

CompanionLink will sync ACT, Gmail and Palm Pre.

I have a Pre and I'm loving it.  Yes CompanionLink will sync gmail and Act.  Then gmail will sync with the pre - I don't like middle men.  .  There is no way to connect contacts with calendar events yet.  I would love for Sage to release a standalone Act app for the Palm Pre.  Please tell you Sage is working on it!!!

I too just got a PRE (coming from a Treo 650) and am loving it but am concerned about the sync to ACT (via companionlink/Google). I have over 8000 contacts and it is still uploading to Google (approx. 2 hours and a little over 1/2 done). Questions:

. Is this only because it is the first time uploading or will it take this long each time?

. Does it automatically update any new contacts/tasks/calendar?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Kris

Copper Contributor

Yes, the first sync will take the longest since it's transferring all the data.  Subsequent syncs will take a fraction of the time because only the changes are being transferred. 

Yes, you can set up CompanionLink to Auto Sync every X minutes.  This will ensure your ACT! data is automatically being synced with Google and your Pre.

Palm PRE or Blackberry - Sync ideas?

I'm in the market for a new phone.  Debating whether to try the tried and true Blackberry or the Palm Pre.  I love having my ACT database available but don't want to create issues.  Suggestions anyone?  Right now I have a Mogul by HTC which is powered by Windows Mobile and it's slow like a turtle.  But does have my 2000 name database on it! 

Why are some people commenting about having ACT and gmail sync?  I don't use gmail.   Thanks for the guidance.

Tuned Listener

Re: Palm PRE or Blackberry - Sync ideas?

SeattleUser wrote:

I'm in the market for a new phone.  Debating whether to try the tried and true Blackberry or the Palm Pre.  I love having my ACT database available but don't want to create issues.  Suggestions anyone?  Right now I have a Mogul by HTC which is powered by Windows Mobile and it's slow like a turtle.  But does have my 2000 name database on it! 

Why are some people commenting about having ACT and gmail sync?  I don't use gmail.   Thanks for the guidance.

Hi

I am in the same boat. Since I have not found yet a satisfying solution for an ACT-IPhone option (see Companion Link and my other thread), I look for other alternatives now too.

The Plam Pre sounds like the perfect match. It has even advantages compared to the Apple IPhone, i.e. the browser is compatible with more websites (I tested this) and there will be soon also flash support for the Palm Pre. I also like the keyboard of the Palm Pre better than the virtual Keyboard of the Iphone, but this is just my personal preference.

Also the plastic body of the Plam Pre is an advantage: The receiption/connection is very often significant better than a simlar phone with a metal body. In German magazin they found this out in tests.

So this all looks cool. Except if you wnat to sync with ACT. There is no sync option with Act for teh Palm Pre as it is availbal for other PLm devices. IMO this is because of the different operating systemof teh Palm Pre (Palm web OS) vs. the other Plam (either PalmOS 5.4.9 or Windows Mobile).

So you need to look for third party solutions. i.e. Companion Link. Companion Link - as always - has a solution. BUT for this it is mandatory, that you sync your ACT databse with an Google account and the n as a second step you sync this Google account with the Palm Pre. This gives me a lot of privacy headaches. I just can not afford to send confidential data to a webbased Google account like a student and hope that I do not risk that those data appear sooner or later somewhere else on the net. And my clients would not find this funny..

So IMHO, ACT should also look closer into this. IMHO Palm made a great step with Palm Pre and the other new Palm products. So a solution is now necessary for syncing with this new Palm operation system without damaging the privacy of client's data. The Iphone has already a huge market share. If someone can keep up to this, then it is the new Palm Pre and later models with this new Palm web OS.

If someone is interested in how the sync-solution of Companion Link works between ACT and Palm Pre, look at this tutorial:

http://www.companionlink.com/support/setupguides-palmpre.html

Copper Contributor

An update: CompanionLink has a direct USB sync solution between ACT! and Palm webOS based phones (like Palm Pre and Palm Pixi).  No need to go through Google.

You need two things:

1. CompanionLink on your PC

2. CL USB Sync app on your Palm device (available for free from the Palm App Catalog)

USB sync between ACT! and Palm Pre/Palm Pixi

Tuned Listener

clink wrote:

An update: CompanionLink has a direct USB sync solution between ACT! and Palm webOS based phones (like Palm Pre and Palm Pixi).  No need to go through Google.

You need two things:

1. CompanionLink on your PC

2. CL USB Sync app on your Palm device (available for free from the Palm App Catalog)

USB sync between ACT! and Palm Pre/Palm Pixi

Wow, this is coooooooooooooooool !!! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

I just looked at it. Now this is really great. Companion Link is closed today, so I need to wait another day to call them for morte details about what fields will be synchronised. I need the same stuff like with my Plam TX.

But I guess it will be the same. So I am 99.9% sure that I will buy the Palm Pre this week-end. I am so excited. I waited so long already about a good solution with internet acess and phone capability...

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Thanks for the heads up!

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

Hi

I just got the Palm Pre yesterday with the Touchpad. I downloaded & installed the newest versions of Companion Link and of the Companion USB webOS addon.

I made my first sync today. Act 2010 (ACT 12). Around 4000 contacts with notes and calendar. First sync took around an hour. I expected this because it is the first sync. This takes always very long. Then I added 2 notes in 2 different contacts and currently I am syncing a second time.

Unfortunately it looks like that it takes again over an hour, which is very disappointing. It is not finished yet, so I can not say whether it works successfully.

With this software combination, the sync process is done in 2 different steps. First you sync as you are used to it in the old Palm-CompanionLink times. This takes with around 4000 contacts around 10 minutes. After that you disconnect the USB cable. Then you have to press the synce button on the Palm Pre phone within the CL USB SYNC application (otherwise it will not update the database on the Palm Pre). And here is the problem. This update on the Palm Pre itself takes around 1 second per contact. After that additional time for the calendar, notes etc. So you can do the math for yourself for your amount of data.

Maybe I did somthing wrong. But I do not know what I should have done differently. But over an hour to have access again to the database on the Pre is not acceptable. But it is getting even worse: If the Palm Pre is going into sleep modus, the update process of CL USB SYNC stops. So you always have to move with your hand over the Pre screen every 3 minutes that it does not fall into sleep modus to be able to get everything updated (the Palm Pre always goes into sleep modus latest after 3 minutes I think)

So here Companionlink has to improve significantly. I can not afford too wait for an hour, which lasted in the good old Palm TX times around 10 minutes for everything (same database).

Also the restriction that the sleeping modus of the Pre stops the update process of the CL USB SYNC is not acceptable. The CL USB SYNC application has to give the Pre some kind of information that there is still a process going on which shall not be interrupted.

Apart from that, the Pre is a nice phone. You can even disable the internet connection of your phone service, so that no hidden costs are coming at the end of the month on your bills. The Pre always tries to get an internet connection all the time (Google maps, time settings, Plam server etc. pp). So if you have no internet flat rate, make sure that you disable this in the Pre settings.

Wlan (Wifi) can be turned on and off whenever you want it. Unfortunatley the "flight mode" turns off both internet connection ability at the same time. But there is an option on another application to turn on Wifi in flight modus nevertheless again.

Battery consumption is heavy (3-4 hours) if used with internet connection. Turning off the internet connections saves dramatically power (1-3 days, depending on how much you are talking on the phone). So if you have the right setting on your Pre, you have the advantages of a Palm for your Act Database incl. a good cell phone and on top of that, on demand, also internet access either via Wifi or via flatrate of you cell phone hoster.

With the Companion link solution, you have full data protection and privacy. None of the ACt databse information gets into a "cloud". Everything stays on your computer and your Pre. And you are not limited to any abilities or features of Outlook or Google. So the Pre is the better solution compard to the iphone or Blackberry for ACT users.

But this updating time of the CL USB SYNC application is really a "no-go". Has somebody a solution for this?

P.S: before I started all this, I upgraded to the newest WebOS version 1.3.1 on my Pre. Always check this first, there are many improvements with this new version.

Message Edited by snoopy5 on 12-05-2009 04:17 PM