Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Palm PRE - Sync ideas?

Tuned Listener

Re: Palm PRE or Blackberry - Sync ideas?

[ Edited ]

update:

it seems that the reason of some of my bad experience was a fault installation of Companion Link. As written above, I had problems with way too long updating times within the palm pre after syncing with ACT over the new PalmWebOS USB link of CL.

I reinstalled the Companionlink software again. I also installed on my Pre a patch so that the standby automatism can be turned off (for installing patches and preware for the Palm Pre read this: http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2040315)

Now the sync is really fast. An improvement in both steps.

In step one, the sync on my computer takes now around 2 minutes on the whole. Remember I have around 4000 contacts in it. With the ACT-Palm Link of SAGE for my Palm TX, this takes a lot longer (around 5-10 minutes). So this is an excellent speed and a lot faster then my old experience with the old version #2 of CL years ago. This is now version 3 of CL.

But the real surprise today was the update within the Pre in the second step. Remember, after doing the sync on your computer, you have to disconnect the USB cable, close the CL USB Sync application on the Pre, reopen it again and hit "sync" again (with no USB cable in the Pre). This is how the database on the Pre checks for new changes. And now this goes within SECONDS (if you have made only 2 small notes within act). So this is really cool!

In case you want to test this with a 14 day free triel of CL, pay attention to this:

On the CL homepage, the description is slightly wrong in several points:

First of all, there is no 2-way-sync possible. At least it does not work with mine. It is only a one-way sync from the computer to the Palm Pre. But notes in a contact typed in the Pre will NOT be copied to ACT on your computer with the next sync. Not perfect, but I can live with this.

Secondly, make sure that you install FIRST the normal Companion Link for ACT-PALM version 3. After that, download and install the CL USB Sync software on your computer and install the app on your Palm Pre. Installing CompanionLink for webOS USB without CompanionLink 3 express is not working!

Thirdly, make sure that you always close first the app CL USB Sync on the Pre and launch it again afterwards before you connect the USB cable. It seems to get otherwise errors so that it takes hours as I experienced it yesterday.

Also after the successfull sync, close on your Pre first the app, open it again and then press the "sync" button on the pre to see how many contacts get changed. If it works correctly, it shows i.e. 1/1 and not 4000/4000 as it was for me the case yesterday

So in summary, the Palm Pre with the "CL USB sync" is currently (as of 6.12.2009) definitely the only choice that makes sense for ACT users.

Forget Apple Iphone or Blackberry. At the end of the day, this all has to work without restrictions and without privacy issues (i.e. using software in the clouds like Google).The best privacy protection is not to give data away at all Smiley Wink

On top of that, the Palm has many advantages over Iphone and Blackberry. I tested all 3 smartphones before I bought the Pre.

1.  You can navigate on some sites still with the Palm Pre, on which the navigation bar does not work neither with the Iphone nor with the Blackberry bold.

2. Since the Pre is using Linux and discloses the code, there is a huge community growing within weeks, which offers helpful apps for it. Because of open source, the will become faster as it was the case within the first year of the Apple Iphone.

3. you are not forced to use a specif software for this or that. Just pick the one you like. No "itunes/apple store business model"

The rest are personal preferences and how you get used to it. Some things are solved on the Iphone more elegant, some better at Blackberry and some better with the Pre. But since it is open source with the Pre, I am pretty sure that the community will copy good ideas of the apple iphone and offer it soon also for the Palm Smiley Wink

I am really happy at the moment with the Palm Pre. Coming from the combo Palm TX - ACT, this is a huge improvement and makes my working life easier. Just check a contact and click on his address: Google maps will be launched within seconds and you see where you have to go to find his office without typing anything. It is just great.

Battery life is not great, but I read that the new Pres have a better one now and it also improves after recharging it a couple of times. And teher are now already third party solutions for bigger batteries.

I can highly recommend the Pre with this CompanionLink solution.

Hope that helps...

Message Edited by snoopy5 on 12-06-2009 12:51 PM
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

update 2:

I experienced some problems since my last report from yesterday, although I did not change anything since yesterday. I.E. not wanted automatism in country code, speed for the updates on the Pre again very slow, differences on the Pre between synchronisation out of CL for WebOs USB or synchronisation out of CL express, one way sync vs. two way sync and differences in the results & speed on the Pre etc.pp.

It is a little bit confusing, because different paarmeters might influence the results on the Pre. I have to make more tests to be able to see a logic structure behind these results to be able to reproduce each one of the new problems on demand. Since often a new sync means 2 hours of syncing tiem on the Pre, this takes a lot of time. But one is for sure: there are still some bugs in CL for WebOS USB.

I keep you updated...

Message Edited by snoopy5 on 12-07-2009 06:48 AM
Tuned Listener

update 3:

This is kind of annoying. On the CompanionLink website, there are 2 different descriptions on how this shall work over USB cable:

Option #1: This one with the CL WebOS USB software "CLW":

http://www.companionlink.com/usbsync/index.html

Option #2: And another one without this software, only using the normal CL express software:

http://www.companionlink.com/usbsync/act-pre-usb.html

Well, how does this sound? The same target with two totally different software products from the same company? Now I am confused... 

As I found out the hard way, the results are also totally different. I have now to delete and reinstall CL software on my computer and test more to make sure which of both options are the correct ones. This is really time consuming here..

So far it seems that the option #1 with this CLW software is wrong. But I have to chek this. It tries to gather the Palm Access database, but not the ACT database. This is why country codes are suddenly added and it takes ages for the last sync step on the Pre.

I will deinstall now any Palm software on my computer and also the CLW software from option #1 and will try then with CL express only the option #2. Let's see whtere this will work better...

I will keep you updated...

Copper Contributor

It shouldn't be this hard.  You only have one option to sync ACT! to Palm webOS using a USB cable:  ComapnionLink Express.

Visit this site:

http://www.companionlink.com/palm/

1. Click on the USB method
2. Choose ACT! as your software

The landing page will detail what you need.

If you're having technical issues, call the support line at 503-243-5200.  Free phone support. 

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

clink wrote:

It shouldn't be this hard.  You only have one option to sync ACT! to Palm webOS using a USB cable:  ComapnionLink Express.

Visit this site:

http://www.companionlink.com/palm/

1. Click on the USB method
2. Choose ACT! as your software

The landing page will detail what you need.

If you're having technical issues, call the support line at 503-243-5200.  Free phone support. 

Hi Clink,

sorry, but this is wrong. You made the same mistake that I did. You are reading the wrong page on teh site of Companionlink. The reason for this is, that CompanionLink missed to write on those 2 pages:

http://www.companionlink.com/palm/  and

http://www.companionlink.com/usbsync/index.html

that this is NOT the way how you can sync ACT with the WebOS. The described method in those 2 links above is for syncing OTHER software with Palm WebOS, but NOT with ACT.

It is even more confusing, because in their navigation drop-down menu on the left, the only page showing up when clicking on "CompanionLink for webOS USB" is the wrong one for ACT users.

So if you are an ACT user and you want to sync with the Plam Pre or any other Palm device with WebOs, the only page on companionlink's site that describes correctly what you need and what how you shall do it is the following:

http://www.companionlink.com/usbsync/act-pre-usb.html

I quote that page and put the important differences in red:

Sync ACT! with Palm Pre (USB sync)

How it works

You will need CompanionLink Express to do a USB sync between ACT! data and Palm Pre. CompanionLink Express works with the CL USB Sync™ app on your Palm Pre. ACT! contacts, calendar activities, to-dos, notes, histories, and user-defined fields will sync to the phone.

What you need

• CompanionLink Express
  • ACT!
  • CL USB Sync™ app on your Palm Pre phone (available from the Palm App Catalog)

Data that will sync

• Contacts
  • Calendar activities - meetings, phone calls, events, personal activities,
    vacations, and custom activity types
  • Activities linked to contacts
  • Notes and histories
    • syncs to Notes field in each contact record
  • To-dos with categories
    • syncs to the Tasks module in the CL USB Sync app
  • Calendar reminders/alerts (works with your Palm Pre's audible alerts)

Other benefits

• "Sync on connect" feature to automatically sync when Palm Pre is docked
  • Auto Sync feature lets you define how often to transparently sync when the phone is connected via USB
  • Ability to exclude personal data from sync
  • Free email and phone technical support
  • Free software updates

Supported versions of ACT!

• ACT! versions 4 - 6
  • ACT! by Sage versions 2005 and higher (including the new ACT! 2010)
  • ACT! by Sage Premium, Real Estate, and Financial editions

So on the wrong pages they tell you, that you need CompanionLink for webOS USB™ (CLW). But this is wrong, if you need to sync with ACT. (do not mix CLW with CL USB Sync™ app on your Palm Pre phone, which is another software and which is also needed for the ACT sync)
Believe me, I tested this now for 3 days! If you want to sync with ACT, you need CompanionLink Express as described in the quote above.
Because of the bad description on the other pages I had so many problems. I made the same mistake like you. But after I deinstalled CompanionLink for webOS USB and only installed CL Express, it worked as it should work. Actually, there are still some bugs, but I will report those in an extra thread, so that other ACT users are not getting confused here.

See here: http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ACT&thread.id=30693

Message Edited by snoopy5 on 12-08-2009 08:13 PM
Highlighted

what patch exactly did you use to make the sync between palm pre and pc faster using usb cable?

i am very interested because i have over 6000 contacts and it takes literally a day and a half to sync with google if i want to sync everything

david fine

513 260 9234

Platinum Elite Contributor