Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Laptop

Copper Contributor

New Laptop

Hi

I'm in the process of replacing a 6 year old Dell Inspiron running Act 2007 and Office 2003, and I'm hoping to get some ideas for updating my system. I'm a one man band with about 800 contacts in my database, hopeing to make for a simple and painless transistion.

Is there a huge difference in performance between Act 2011 and 2013?

I read a PC Magazine review which recommended ACT 2011 Pro over 2012. Is 2013 worth the extra $$$. I'm thinking of either Office 2010 or 2013 both with Outlook. And after playing with Windows 8 for about 20 minutes at the Best Buy I'm thinking it will be just fine.

In the past I've seen recommendations for a 7200 rpm hardrive over a 5400 rpm. I'm only finding 7200 rpm drives on "custome built" machines rather then what's available at the local Best Buy.

Is the 7200 rpm drive still recommended these days even with the more powerful CPU?

I was looking at a Lenovo Idea Pad at Best Buy, a 3rd Gen I7 CPU, 8 GB of memory for only $629 but it had a 1TB 5400 rpm hardrive, so I deciced to keep looking.

Any suggestions are appreciated in advance

Thanks

Jack

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New Laptop

ACT! 2013 is faster than ACT! 2011 ... how much faster, depends on the system.

Yes, get a 7200rpm drive ... you can probably get one fairly cheap and replace the one in whatever system you get

The drive speed and RAM are more important than CPU speed for most database products ... unless sharing with many concurrent users.