Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Installation of Act Pro 2011 won't open

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

New Installation of Act Pro 2011 won't open

After installing Act Pro 2011 on my new desktop running Windows 7 64 bit, I try to open act and get the following error message "Object reference is not set to an instance of an object" and I can go no further.

Also, I have done a restore of all of my files from a Carbonite backup. (Had a hard drive failure on an older computer running Windows XP).  When I try to open the database from Explorer I receive a different error message but at least that allows me to get to the "create new database prompt" however, when I try that I get the same object reference error.

The error message I receive when trying to open the database directly is quite a bit longer but I can't even open the program at this point.

HELP!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mgeis935
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: New Installation of Act Pro 2011 won't open

[ Edited ]

The message indicates that the 'log' file (ALF) has been damaged.  If you do not have a backup to restore, you can try connecting your database (ADF file) to SQL using the ACTDIAG utility.  To do this:

- close ACT!

- browse to location of database and rename the 'databasename.ALF' file (ex: add '.old' to the end)

- click on Windows Start button > select Run if XP or use 'Search' if Vista/Windows 7 > enter ACTDIAG > press Enter key

- Diagnostics screen displayed

- select 'Tools' > select 'Attach ACT! Database' > select 'Missing Log File'

- browse to database location and select the 'databasename.ADF' file > click OK

Launch ACT! and attempt to open database.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello Mgeis935,

This can come from several different reasons, try these fixes:

- Run ACT! as administrator.  To do this: close ACT! > right click on ACT! icon > select 'Run As Administrator'

- Remove Dymo Add-on: since this is a new machine, the add-on may not be present but worth checking - here is an article with instructions: KB Article 27127

- Rebuild ACT! Preference files - here is an article with instructions (note: use the 'Alternate Method: Manually Rebuild Preferences' option): KB Article 14770

If this does not help resolve the issue, please provide a screenshot of the error message.

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg:

Now I can at least open Act but still can not access my database.  I can open the demo and create a new database.  The error that I get when trying to open the database is:

“The log scan number (210:1275:1) passed to log scan in database ‘mdgapc11’ is not valid.  This error may indicate corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf).  If the error occurred during replication, recreate the publication.  Otherwise restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup.  Could not open new database ‘MDGAPC11’. Create database is aborted.”

The files were restored from a Carbonite backup to a new computer running Windows 7 64bit.  The old computer was running Windows XP 32 bit.

Copper Elite Contributor

Do you have an actual ACT! Backup?  A Carbonite backup will not give you the results you are looking for.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Solution
Accepted by topic author mgeis935
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[ Edited ]

The message indicates that the 'log' file (ALF) has been damaged.  If you do not have a backup to restore, you can try connecting your database (ADF file) to SQL using the ACTDIAG utility.  To do this:

- close ACT!

- browse to location of database and rename the 'databasename.ALF' file (ex: add '.old' to the end)

- click on Windows Start button > select Run if XP or use 'Search' if Vista/Windows 7 > enter ACTDIAG > press Enter key

- Diagnostics screen displayed

- select 'Tools' > select 'Attach ACT! Database' > select 'Missing Log File'

- browse to database location and select the 'databasename.ADF' file > click OK

Launch ACT! and attempt to open database.

Greg Martin
Sage

I had an older back-up that I was able to restore.  Lost some apointments and newer contacts but not too much.  Thank's everyone for your help.