Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Installation: Advice Please

New Installation: Advice Please

Hi,

We've just bought a 5 seat licence of ACT! 2010 and tomorrow I am to install this and its my first time.

We have a Microsoft SBS 2003 server and I am proposing to hold the database their as its backed up daily. 

Are there any tips for the installation - can anyone point me to a useful resource for the installation?

I presume I am not restricted to the amount of installations so long as we only set up 5 users?

Also do I presume its a good idea to set a real user as admin and not 'waste' one seat of the licence for 'Admin'?

Thanks,

Andy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New Installation: Advice Please

Hello Andy,

In answer to your questions:

Are there any tips for the installation - can anyone point me to a useful resource for the installation?

You can refer to KB Article 25189 for installation instructions. When you create the shared database on the server, make sure that all who will accessing hae Full permissions to the directory where the database is stored. It would be better to create a directory for the database (i.e., C:\ACT! Database) rather than create it in the default location, which is the Documents folder of the logged-in Windows user.

I presume I am not restricted to the amount of installations so long as we only set up 5 users?

This is correct. The number of licenses you have pertains to the number of active logins you can have in the database, not the number times you install it. An ACT! serial number has a limit to the numbers of times it can be registered over the number of licenses it holds, but this can be reset by ACT! Customer Service it necessary.

Also do I presume its a good idea to set a real user as admin and not 'waste' one seat of the licence for 'Admin'?

Absolutely. You do not need to waste a license on a user just for the server.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.