Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Install Upgrade to 2011 Pro Running Slow

Accepted Solution Solved
pgd
Accepted Solution

New Install Upgrade to 2011 Pro Running Slow

Had to use the Act Uninstaller to uninstall Act 2007.

Install of Act 2011 was laborious, but got it done.

I went to open my DB through the restore process, then it says it has to convert/upgrade it or something. It went through the process and gave me an error message that allowed me to save a file called ActSchemaUpdateResults. So I save it. Not sure what it all means.

I didn't think I was going to be able to open the DB after that message about coverting didn't look good, but I was able to open it.

The problem is no matter what I click, it takes about 5 seconds before it does anything.

Running Windows XP with all svc ugrades, Intel Duo Cpu, 1.6Ghz, 2Mb Ram.

Suggestions please.

Thank you, Paul

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author pgd
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: New Install Upgrade to 2011 Pro Running Slow

First - go ahead and  clear those older activities.  Those 'un-cleared' activities can have huge effect on the database. 

Once they are cleared, let us know how the response time is in the database.

You may also want to run the Tools > Database Maintenance > Remove Old Data > select to remove 'Cleared Activities Older Than x days'.  When an activity is cleared it creates a History item in addition to having the cleared activity on the calendar.  Using this option will remove the cleared items from the calendar, but will leave the History items intact.

Note: Before making changes you will want to make a backup of the database (File > BAckup > Database).

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

[ Edited ]

Paul,

To see if it is a damaged database causing the delay, open the ACT! Demo database and test response time.

Also, how many contacts and activities do you have in the database?

Greg Martin
Sage
pgd

Is there a demo that came with the new ACT 2011? I could not find it....I found the .pad for the Act9Demo, but Act says it can't find it when I try to open it. I found the .adf file and could not open that either. Suggestions?

I unistalled and re-installed ACT2011. I Restored another copy of the 2007 database. This time I did not get the error, but everything is still slow.

I have 10,863 contacts, and 743 Tasks. 2007 only showed me the last 30 days of tasks so i never got rid of the old ones. Not sure since all 743 are now in my pop up reminder window if that is slowing things down or not.

When I want to put in a note, I am typing faster than it shows on the screen so I have to stop to allow Act to catch up.

Just about anything you click on responds in 3-5 second delay, and that is with no other programs open.

I was also hoping that in Act 2011, when I clear a task it would not go back to the beginning of all tasks. Can I make it stay at the same place after clearing or erasing a task?

What next....

Thanks, Paul

Solution
Accepted by topic author pgd
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

First - go ahead and  clear those older activities.  Those 'un-cleared' activities can have huge effect on the database. 

Once they are cleared, let us know how the response time is in the database.

You may also want to run the Tools > Database Maintenance > Remove Old Data > select to remove 'Cleared Activities Older Than x days'.  When an activity is cleared it creates a History item in addition to having the cleared activity on the calendar.  Using this option will remove the cleared items from the calendar, but will leave the History items intact.

Note: Before making changes you will want to make a backup of the database (File > BAckup > Database).

Greg Martin
Sage
pgd

The problems was definately the 700+ alarms in my pop up window. I didn't use the DB Maintenance feature I just cleared all the alarms until I was at a # that I liked around 100. I like to go to the task list and see all those old alarms in case I want try and call a bunch of prospects from 2 to 3 years ago.

Right now I am really starting to like 2011 Act. I still have lots of functionality to turn on, but I think my biggest challenge has been completed.

Thanks again.

Paul