Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Field Error Message

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New Field Error Message

First, verify the .PAD file you are using is not pointing the the ACT11Demo database. You can right-click on the file and select to "Open with" Notepad. Also, once you get ACT! open, go to Tools > Preferences > Startup tab, and select to open your database as the startup database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Highlighted

I hope someone is there!  I've got the DB working great on my computer, but now that Kevin is back, he can see the DB but gets the error msg "access denied" (it's not) and now even though he can see it, it keeps looking on his computer as the host (it's not).  We can't even get to tools.

Highlighted

What is the exact error message he is receiving when trying to open the database? If the database is trying to open on the wrong machine, then open the .PAD file he is using with Notepad and make sure the server name is correct.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Highlighted

Thank you!  We have moved past that.  Had our IT guy here for two hours and he finally got his computer to see the DB on mine, but it's not the same, and we can't figure out why.  In an act of desperation, I've uninstalled ACT from his computer and am reinstalling it, but now get an error message that it can't continue. "An ACT7 instance".  It suggests an incorrect password or that SQL may not be running.  I shouldn't need a password at this point, so I'm guessing SQL.  How do I make sure that SQL(ACT7) instance is running??

It says to then restart installation.

Thanks,

Kate

Highlighted

Figured this one out Thanks to old posts. Reinstalled ACT but still cannot find the right DB.
Highlighted

I have now followed the instructions re shared DB in answer # 19876, but it still goes to the wrong, incomplete DB. Does not have the layout or the documents, and when I enter a test note, it does not show up on my computer.
Highlighted

If the wrong database is opening up, then it usually the .PAD file. The database may have the same name, but it would be in a different location than the one you are actually trying to open. Compare the .PAD files. Also go to Help > About ACT! > Database Information and compare the info for your database and the incorrect database.

Greig Hollister

Highlighted

Thank you for staying with me on this.  It gets more interesting.  When I opened Kevin's ACT this am, about half of the contacts had been duplicated, but with only the Name and Phone number fields, no notes, attachments or other fields.  And not a "localized string" of contacts; there will be three duplicated, then one or two not duplicated, then ten dups then one not, and so on.  My DB is normal. 

I have searched out the pad files on his computer and gotten rid of all the old ones I could find.  I even copied the correct pad file to a folder on my computer that he accesses daily to open documents.  He gets the same access denied message as usual, but can still open the documents in the folder.  That makes me think when I copy the file it's only a shortcut pointing to wherever he can't get.  When I click on the copied pad file from my desktop, it opens ACT with the correct DB.  We have shared everything.

We specifically saved the DB with a new name and that's the pad file we are going to.  When I go to "Save As" now, my computer points to one place in my shared files, but from his desktop, it points into the same folder, but not as deep.  I can't find a pad file where his is pointing.

The DB he is opening I know is different because it does not have the attachements (not connecting to the supplemental files - he has the list but are all zeroed out), and he is not getting the test notes I'm entering and vice versa.  He can add documents from his desktop, but I don't see them.

I'm completely stumped!  It just does not make sense - I don't know where else to look!

Thanks again.

Kate

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Final question - what is a ".RDB" file. I've found one I've never seen before that has the same icon as a pad file. Could that be the culprit? I'm afraid to delete it not knowing what it is. There isn't one on his computer. Did my computer guy create a monster???  It reads "ACT_SHARED_FD.RDB".  I think the FD refers to the name of my computer.

Highlighted
Platinum Super Contributor

The RDB file is a packaged remote database.  Once an RDB file has been unpacked/restored on a compture, the RDB file can be deleted (to prevent it's reuse).  If you suspect the RDB file is part of the problem, the file name of the RDB will be the database name when restored.  Checking the names of the databases being accessed will determine if the RDB/restored remote is being used.  

Since the issue is confusion about the database being accessed, an option to ensure that the correct database is being accessed is to create a new database with a name that couldn't be in use already (ex: put date on end '07082011'), set the new database to 'share', and access from the workstation.  To create the new database, use the File > Save Copy As option - this will create a duplicate of your original database with a new name.

Greg Martin
Sage