Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New ACT! user - having troubles and need help with syncing

New ACT! user - having troubles and need help with syncing

I'm a new ACT! user but have read the user guide and learned a few things. I have several issues. We have an existing database with 1800 contacts that ACT! customer service says it's corrupt and that we need to start from a fresh new database (that means data enter 1800 contacts). 1) Our main goal is to have ACT! sync with a remote database for my boss when she's out in the field, so she can update and bring it back to update the main database. 2) We want to use ACT! tasks and calendar and sync with Outlook so Outlook can sync with her Blackberry. I think this is possible. Does anyone have any suggestions or input before a create a new database? (Customer Service said not to import data from corrupt ACT! database or old Outlook profile. I tried to import from a new Outlook profile but then I got the error "cannot created remote database". Help?!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: New ACT! user - having troubles and need help with syncing

I don't know what the corruption is that support would say not to import it, but you might try Ingo at www.crmaddon.com - he was working on a combined Export/Import that would Export all the data it could, then allow you to import it to a new database.

To set up sync, have a look at this article in the ACT! Knowledge Base

I find the best way to sync to Blackberry is with Handheld Contact  - every other way I've tried has various issues

[ Edited ]
Mr. Lazarus is either being paid by ACT! {no personal comments, please}. Handheld Contact may be a beautiful solution but it costs MORE than ACT! Ridiculous, and NOT a solution. Companion Link really screwed up my records. When I update a record on the phone, the next time I sync it will add the name to ACT and DELETE the phone number. It does this every time. They are telling me I have a corrupt database. Well who corrupted it? I have received a lengthy email with a number of steps I need to take to address the issue. I am not optimistic, and I really am too busy to take a few hours to do this. New problem today, the ACT email crashed (NOT a new problem, happens frequently) but this time it erased all of my stored messages in my inbox and the two key folders that store correspondence about two major projects I'm working on. It apparently is all gone -- where did it go? The program is flawed and ACT apparently doesn't care. Upgrades that FIX the problems should be free. I will not be paying anything else in the hopes of fixing this. I have contacted Companion Link, I have posted in forums here, I have emailed "technical support" (which apparently doesn't exist because I have never received a response). My only alternative is to post a warning here. BEWARE of ACT. It is unstable and you WILL lose your data if you try to sync with a Blackberry.

Message Edited by tashina on 02-19-2008 02:51 PM

No dietmtndude,

I'm not paid by ACT! or Sage, nor do I sell ACT!.

I use ACT! and Handheld Contact and find it's worth the investment.

Glad to know you're not on the payroll. Again, my apologies. Handheld Contact is NOT a solution because it addresses a problem that should be solved by ACT itself. Shouldn't the industry leader provide a way to connect with the leading smartphone platforms, i.e. Windows, Palm, and Blackberry? Why should our actual cost for this functionality be more than the cost of the program itself?

How do our databases get corrupt? I believe the logical place to point the finger is ACT. The program corrupts the database. So we have to spend time and money fixing it? I suppose it's apparent that I'm very frustrated.

Many of the add-ons are more expensive than ACT! - I guess that the volume of ACT! sales keeps that price down.

I find it's best not to look at the simple cost, but to look at the value the solution provides to you. I now spend more time in HHC than in ACT!, so the value it gives is easy to justify.

The HHC guys are also really great with their support which means I spend less time worrying about problems and more time working.

I know when symantec did versions for PDA (Newton, CE, etc), the R&D of keeping it up-to-date as the PDAs changed OS versions was far more than that for the main product. This might explain the costs of HHC.

The program itself doesn't corrupt the database, but databases can become damaged for many reasons.

ACT! 7.0 and later uses MS SQL Server, which is more solid than ACT! 6 and earlier, but power fluctuation, hardware issues and conflicting applications can still cause issues

Thanks for the responses. We weren't able to resolve the issues and my manager decided that it wasn't worth it to spend so many hours (and $$ including the support contract she purchased last year to make ACT! work). So, we went with a different contact management software. We were disappointed because we really wanted to use ACT! Thanks for the support!

Please tell me what program you went with. I am looking for another solution also. Thanks.