Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Networking ACT! 2010 data base using Windows 7 Peer to Peer network

Networking ACT! 2010 data base using Windows 7 Peer to Peer network

I have 2 ACT! 2010 Licenses and a peer to peer network (2 computer's (A&B) on network, both computers using Windows 7).  The ACT Data base is on Computer A.  I have this database, in a shared network file which can be seen and accessed on Computer B.  I have set up ACT on computer B to open the Data base on Computer A, via the peer to peer network.  I get error message "file could not be accessed...Check server connection..."  In ACT!, I have clicked to share this database (tools,Database Maintenance) and copied the PAD file ( from database on Computer A) to ACT folder on Computer B.  Other than what I have already done, what else should I do to access, on Computer B, the ACT data base, which is on Computer A, using a peer to peer network?
Karl R

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Networking ACT! 2010 data base using Windows 7 Peer to Peer network

Bronze Super Contributor

First thing to check is to disable the firewall on the "server" PC.  If that does the trick, then look for details in the KB that Mike pointed to for details in setting up the firewall to allow ACT! to work correctly.

The other common issue is if the database is in the c:\Users structure on the server.

Windows doesn't like giving full access for others users to the profile folders.

I usually recommend moving the database to something like c:\ACTData

Then you also need to make sure the other machine has full access to the shared folder.

Thank you for your responses.  I was still unable to successfully open  the network ACT! Data base on a 2nd work station.   I will contact paid support to get hands on  help to walk me through this.  Again, thank you for your help.

You'll often find it faster (and sometimes better advice) to contact an ACT! consultant - www.act.com/acc