Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network went down

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Network went down

Hi, my act is network with a server and one satellite.  Today for no reason I can see the satellite or networked computer stopped being able to access the server.  Can anyone point me in the direction of where I might find on line information on some common causes?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curtis
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Network went down

Hello Curtis,

Please see a list of possible causes and solutions to this error in the following Knowledgebase article:

Error: "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network con...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curtis
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hello Curtis,

Please see a list of possible causes and solutions to this error in the following Knowledgebase article:

Error: "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network con...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for steering me to this link.  I do appreciate the help.

I will get a PhD in Computer Science and then perhaps I can use these instructions.  Red Tail never looked better.

Seriously, I am thinking maybe I should punt on on ACT, cut bait and cut my losses. Which is about a grand, as I got the Premium edition for two computers. 

I don't think ACT is able to handle networking computers with Vista.  It was very difficult to set it up in the first place, it took 3 or 4 sessions just for the techs to get it set up, and they had trouble doing it. 

ACT cannot even handle Windows Mail, which would seem like a very a very basic expectation, since it is just the updated version of Outlook.

I am being serious that perhaps it is better to cut bait here.  Rather than spend several hundred dollars more on technical support, and then what if this just happens again?

If Act can't handle Vista, ACT should just admit it upfront and save business owners the money and the headaches.

Message Edited by Curtis on 08-21-2009 11:48 AM
Message Edited by Curtis on 08-21-2009 11:51 AM
Message Edited by Curtis on 08-21-2009 12:34 PM
Message Edited by Curtis on 08-21-2009 01:13 PM
Message Edited by Curtis on 08-21-2009 02:53 PM
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Specifically, here is the message I am getting:

1) Act for Professionals has stopped working....

or

2) Cannot find Database Supplemental Files.  This may be a problem with the files or the share...

3) Sometimes when I open the from the ACT shortcut, VISTA will come in and say, an unidentified program is attempting to access your computer.  Then I have to click "allow".   I don't remember this happening before.

Does this information perhaps help you to direct me to a more specific link on how to fix the problem.

Message Edited by Curtis on 08-21-2009 01:41 PM
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just spent a couple hours fooling around with this with no results.

I have a lot of contacts who use or will need contact management software.  I am telling them thumbs down to ACT. 

Thank you for wasting a tremendous amount of my time.  If you cannot make software that works in networks with Vista, do everyone a favor and just say so and get out of the business.

Message Edited by Curtis on 08-21-2009 02:49 PM

Curtis,

From your description of the error, it sounds like the issue is related to permissions on the network. Please provide some additional information so we can help you resolve this:

- What operating system is your server using? What O/S is the client station using?

- What version and build of ACT! are you using (Help/About ACT!)? Make sure the server and the client station have the same build of ACT!

- If you open the database in ACT! on the server and go to Tools/Database Maintenance, is the "Share Database" option checked or unchecked?

- On the Vista machine(s), has User Account Control (UAC) been disabled? You would do this from the User Accounts option in the Control Panel.

Greig Hollister

Copper Super Contributor

Thank you for your help.  I had an engineer friend come over and help fix it over the weekend. Curtis