Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network share issue with ACT! 2009 ... Help!

Network share issue with ACT! 2009 ... Help!

I have ACT! 2009 installed on a XP Pro PC and this computer is the home for the dbase file.  Only one other PC on this little network accesses the dbase file and this PC runs Win XP Home.  All else being shared between these PCs over the network works fine.  However, ACT randomly loses it's share function under the tools menu and I have no idea why.  When this happens the XP Home PC can not use ACT as it cannot open the dbase file residing on the XP Pro PC.  If I go back to the XP Pro machine and open ACT and under tools check the option to share the dbase file on the network it starts working again for the XP Home PC.  But this problem is annoying and is random where the XP Home PC cannot access the ACT dbase file.

Could use your help.  Thanks!

Silver Contributor

Re: Network share issue with ACT! 2009 ... Help!

wondering if a network resource might be powering down on one or the other machine.  Check this through the computers power settings.

A simple work around, browse your network by going Start, Run, //MACHINENAME where MACHINE name is the name of the other computer.  This should "wake everything up prior to starting aCT/

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

[ Edited ]

Jon,

I understand what you are saying but why would this happen?  Windows is designed to shutdown or go to sleep depending on settings.  So why should ACT have an issue with this?

Again, when I go back to the PC with the dbase file why is the "share on network" option unchecked (under Tools) and then the sharing works again after rechecking this option?  Are you telling me that under normal Windows functions that ACT continually gets disrupted and sharing gets disabled?

Please explain as this makes no sense and sounds like a bug in ACT.

The PCs are in use throughout the week days.  There is a  router that never is turned off or has any sort of sleep cycle.  Norton Internet Security 2011 doesn't seem to be an issue otherwise it wouldn't work in the first place.

*bump*

Silver Contributor

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not.  It's something I've seen and that is a workaround.  Many programs do not "wake up well" when the computer comes back from sleep. This could be a funtion of your network card, the network or it could be ACT.  However, it does seem to be environmental in nature as I've only seen this problem a few times. 

Someone from Sage would have to comment further on the rest of your post

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Hopefully someone from Sage will jump in.

Since ACT should stay connected to the network. If Windows sleeps and then comes out of it ACT should be back up and running by design.  I could check the client machine and see if the NIC is set to a power save mode or something or see if there is an option to "keep it awake" even when Windows is anactive like during lunch or something.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

I don't believe this is an ACT! issue. It may be a sharing or permissions issue. One thing you can check on the XP Pro machine is if Simple File Sharing is enabled. Open "My Computer",  go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab. At the bottom of the list, make sure simple file sharing is unchecked. You can also try unsharing the database from ACT!, then manually remove the sharing for the database files folders in Windows, reboot, then open ACT! and re-share the database. Also, make sure your Windows login on the XP Pro machine is an Administrator only (not mixed). You can verify this by going to Start, then Run and typing in "control userpasswords2". If your login is not an Adminstrator login, you will not be able to view the screen. If it is, then you will see a user list. Make sure your login does not have mixed permissions, like Administrator;Debugger User. It should only be Administrator. In addition, you may want to take a look at  KB Article 24235.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

Based on research in the Sage knowledge base it recommends turning off Simple File Sharing and that had already been done some time ago for other reasons.

You say, "You can also try unsharing the database from ACT!, then manually remove the sharing for the database files folders in Windows, reboot, then open ACT! and re-share the database."  Are you referring to simply unticking the Share dbase under Tools from the drop down menu in ACT!? Also, are you saying that the folders under the Windows ACT! 2009 folder should be set to "shared"? I had support walk me through setting this up correctly and I was told the only thing necessary to do was select the Share Datbase under the Tools option from the menu. So the folders have never been set to "shared".

The user login is an Admin login.

Not sure I'm clear on the KB article you provided.  I'm confident that there are not multiple shares.  There is only the XP Pro machine that is the home/server (also runs ACT!) for the ACT dbase files and the XP Home machine that runs ACT! using the dbase files from the XP Pro machine.  Maybe I'm not clear here.

Question: at the KB article I see -> "Network Connection
This issue will occur if attempting to select the Share Database option from a client machine and you are not connected to the network or if the server hosting the database is not running."  It sounds like this is also not an issue as this will only occur if you are "attempting to select the Share Datatbase" option... not if it's already selected.  In my application the Share Database is selected on the XP Pro and the XP Home machine.  

As for ->

"Error in Event Viewer
The Share Database option not retaining being checked has also seen to occur if a specific error appears in the Application Event Viewer log:

• Event ID: 2001
  • Error: The Server's configuration parameter "IRPStackSize".

-> do I check this on the XP Pro, XP Home (client) machine or both?

Last night I went through and added the .exe files and ports it suggested to setup in the security programs firewall. In this case it's Norton Internet Security 2011.