Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network connection dissapears when trying to open Act! database

Network connection dissapears when trying to open Act! database

I'm hoping there is someone here who can help with an error in Act! version 11 (2009 edition).

I've installed the Act software on our server. Everything went fine.  I've played around with some of the fields, added contacts etc... It looks like a program that will do everything we want.

Then I installed the program on my own work desktop which is on the same network with a Netgear DG834 router & XP on both. It installed fine. I have shared the server database from the main server. I mapped Z: drive to the shared directory (eg: //192.168.0.10/Act/). When I open Act on my desktop and try to open the database from the Z: drive I get the following error:

The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to
access this database, check your network connection and verify that your
database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall
software..."

The worrying thing that happens with this error is that when I go start-->run and type in \\192.168.0.10 the link between my desktop and the server is down (whereas before I could open the shared folders like normal). I can still access everybody elses computers in the office but I can't access the server until I reset the router.

Does anybody know what could be the cause of this problem? I've disabled ALL firewalls on both computers. The database is shared with full permissions. The .PAD file doesn't seem to be damaged since it works on the server fine. I have tried reinstalling Act on the desktop and had the same problem.

I can't understand why the connection between my desktop and server would be cut. I'm guessing by trying to open the database the connection is cut and that's why the error comes up. Office opens back up on Monday and I have no idea how to fix it yet.

Does anybody have any solutions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Network connection dissapears when trying to open Act! database

I am looking for help on a similar issue.  I have been an Act! user since 1993 or so. I am the only user at the company and have the software installed on my laptop. I prefer the database and e-mails be kept on the company server in case my laptop is lost.  I get this same error message when trying to run when my data is on my user directories (which I have full read-write access to) on the network.  I did not have this problem with Act! 6.X.

I cannot afford to have this information on a laptop instead of on the company server. Am I missing something or did I lose functionality in the newer version? I am looking for a fix to this problem.

Thanks

You would need to have the ACT! program installed on the server to be able to host the database on the server. Yes this is different from ACT! 6 because it accessed the database files through the Windows file manager. With ACT! 2005 and later the database is managed by the MSSQL server. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

GLComputing, I have completed all steps in the Knowledge Base.  I didn't have to make any modifications - everything seemed to be setup correctly.  After trying to run Act! again the connection between computers is still severed.

Has this problem ever been encountered before?  It seems weird that by trying to import the database that the network connection would cut off.

Again, I can still access all other computers on the network just not the server.

[ Edited ]

All problems have been sorted out thank you.

Lisa11

<content edit. removed link to website.>

Message Edited by dlunceford on 01-02-2009 08:24 AM

[ Edited ]

No network problem. All problems have been sorted out thank you.

Lisa11

<content edit. removed link to website.>

Message Edited by dlunceford on 01-02-2009 08:25 AM

Lisa, can you share your solution?