Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Sync Service won't start?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Network Sync Service won't start?

I just reloaded XP Pro on my server before installing 2009 Premium.  My remote databases all sync'd correctly using ACT Network Sync service (on the server) and port 65100.  After one week, ACT Network Sync service stopped working.  I uninstalled it and reinstalled from the CD, still won't run.  If I right-click the taskbad icon and select "start service", I get an error message saying "The ACT network sync service could not be started.  Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed".  Oddly, now I can't ping port 65100 even though it's properly set on my router and firewall..

My work around is to leave the host database open and click on "tools/synchronize/accept incoming syncs".  This allows the remotes to sync and port 65100 is now open.

Any guess what killed the ACT network sync?

Thanks

LT

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Network Sync Service won't start?

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had tried them, it turned out to be my anti-virus software.  Switching to AVG resolved it.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Try closing the network sync service, uncheck accept incoming syncs and close ACT!.  Load network sync and try to start the service on port 65100.  If that doesn't work, try starting the service on a different port (e.g. 65200).
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had tried them, it turned out to be my anti-virus software.  Switching to AVG resolved it.

Thanks again.

Tuned Listener

Re: Network Sync Service won't start? ESETNod32 Antivirus Firewall & ESET Smart Security preventing access

[ Edited ]

Oh my gosh thank you so much for finding this. I have spent the last three hours trying to figure this out. I couldn't understand why I was getting this message when I could easily see in my Network Places that I could view DB files on the Laptop Network Places but still got this error. It was my ESETNod32 Antivirus Firewall. I just went into the ESET "Protection Status", go to the botom left corner where it says "DisplaySmiley Frustratedtandard Mode" and change to "Advanced Mode", click Network Connections, (go to the bottom of that page) click link Configure Connection View, click Personal Firewall, then Filtering Mode, change from Automatic Mode to Automatic Mode with exceptions (user-defined rules). You can save that as a Custom Profile if you would like.  Click "OK" and when in the Network Connections page Click ActSage.exe (Act program must be running), right click and choose "Temproarily allow communication for process". You will need to do this every time you re-open Act.  Maybe there is a better way to set up a "rule" so I'm looking into that now, and that way you won't have to right click and "Temporarily allow communication for process" every time you boot up Act and want to sync the Remote Database. This is the only way I could get it to work at first. Windows Firewall still active and ESET Firewall still active.

Edited: *********

I just figued out you can also go to ESET Smart Security Setup, Personal Firewall and switch to Interactive Filtering Mode & fix things that way. Sync one time and a window will pop up on Main Computer and choose Allow...etc....Then you could go back to Automatic mode... Hope this helps someone else and if anyone knows a better way please post a reply. This is better than turning off Firewall and works for me. Good luck!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Network Sync Service won't start? ESETNod32 Antivirus Firewall & ESET Smart Security preventing access

GtrDave,
Thank you for the information!
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Also see Article

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20213/kw/service%20would%20not%20start

Error: "The ACT! Network Sync Service could not be started. The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Answer ID 20213 
This can result if the Windows Application Event Viewer log is full. You must resolve this issue to allow the ACT! Network Sync Service to start.