Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Network Database problem

Copper Contributor

Network Database problem

OK. Back to the boards and hopefully a quick solution.

I'm moving a database from one computer to another. The computer I am moving it to is the network computer. I first backup the database from my remote workstation and save it on the network computer so others will be able to access it later. I then use "restore as" to the network computer. When I do this, I get an error message that says Act does not support the Restore As function to a non-local drive. Okay, so I save it to the local drive of the network computer instead. IT transfers. Then, in order to make this database available to the network, I copy the database folder, the PAD file and the ADF file over to the network drive. When I do this, only the PAD file transfers. When I go to use the database from a remote workstation, I get an error message that tells me I'm missing supplemental files which I'm sure is the ADF file.

Don't know where to go from here.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Network Database problem

So far, so good, but let's start at the point where you restored the database to the local drive. At this point, the restored database is attached to SQL and cannot be safely copied or moved. You will need to detach it from SQL and then move only the .ADF, .ALF and -database files.  Do not move the .PAD file as this file contains the specific location of the database and becomes invalid when you move it. Please see the following Knowledgebase article for the steps to physically move an ACT! database:

How to Move an ACT! by Sage Database Without Doing a Backup and Restore

Also the supplemental files error refers to the yellow database files folder (ie, DATABASENAME-database files) and usually means the database has not been shared within ACT! or insufficient permissions have been applied to folder. Please see the following Knowledgbase article for more information:

Error: "Cannot find database supplemental files folders." or "The database is not shared."

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

When I go to detach the PAD per your last suggestion using the ActDiag I get an error message that reads, "Cannot connect to the SQL server Instance" The only thing I know to check at this point is to see if the SQL server is started and it is. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

When you get the connect error when opening ACT! Diagnostics, you should have an option to Continue. Then ACT! Diagnostics should open. You  should then be able to go to the Database List and  may see some databases that are Suspect or Recovering.  If this is not the case, then do this:

- Make sure the SQL Server (ACT7) service is started 

- In Windows Explorer, browse to C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows

- Locate the file SecurityCmdLnApp.exe and double-click it...this will reset the SQL password

Then try opening ACT! Diagnostics and following the steps I gave in my earlier post

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Greig:

I can get to ActDiag but when i get there, there are no databases listed.

In your list of local services, is the SQL Server (ACT7) service listed and does it have a status of "Started"?  If it is, but is not started, then try starting the service. If it is missing, then follow the instructions in KB Article 19386 to create the service.  

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

The SQL Server (ACT7) is started and when i restart it I get the same "Can not Connect to the SQL instance" error message.

It sounds like the SQL Server did not install correctly. I would advise removing ACT! and SQL and then reinstalling.

- Use the ACT! Uninstaller found at the bottom of KB Article 19338

- When running the Uninstaller, choose the option to remove the ACT7 instance of SQL

- From the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the following: MSXML 6.0 Parser, any programs starting with Microsoft SQL Server

- From Windows Exploerer, browse to C:\Program Files and delete the folder Microsoft SQL Server

- Open the Registry Editor (Start/Run, type regedit) and delete the following keys (when present):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Redist

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\MSSQL$ACT7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\MSSQLServerADHelper

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SQLBrowser

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SQLWriter

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\MSSQL$ACT7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\MSSQLSERVER/MSDE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\MSSQLServerADHelper

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLBrowser

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLDumper

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\SQLWEP

For the keys above, do the same under ControlSet002, ControlSet003, and CurrentControlSet (you may not have all of these keys)

- Reboot your machine

- After reboot, disable all firewall, antivirus programs

- Reinstall ACT! (will also reinstall SQL)

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Wow! Before I go through this, I want you to know that I can connect to atleast one database on the network from muptiple remote computers. That would lead me to believe that the SQL server does work. Do you still want me to uninstall/Re-install know this?
Copper Contributor

You must have ACT! and SQL installed on the computer the database is installed.  That is primarily the reason people can't access the database.

You must restore or create on the computer's hard drive.  Then share the folders for the database.

I recommend you contact an ACT! consultant to implement this for you.

Felix Trinh
Flexible ACT Solutions, LLC