Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Netbook vs Parallels/Windows 7

Netbook vs Parallels/Windows 7

I just started a new small business and want to begin running ACT!, however I only have Mac operating systems at the present time.

Would I be better off buying Parallels with a Windows 7 package or just buying a netbook and installing ACT!?

With the netbook, are there any issues with running ACT! on Windows 7 Starter?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Netbook vs Parallels/Windows 7

Screen real estate and overall performance. By the time you get to a netbook that can run the ACT! .program in a reasonable manner you would be better off moving up to a laptop.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

I'm running Sage ACT!2011 Premium (and therefore MS SQL 2008 Exp R2) on a netbook, 1GB RAM, Atom 450.

I've also got MS Office 2007 Enterprise (only Word/Excel/Outlook).

Yup, it can be a little slow at times, but it's actually usable.

I run an RDB on it that sync's when I'm in the office, I've configured the power button to Hibinate when pressed, this extends the battery life further still and it reboot's fairly quickly.

Note that I've not loaded this down with games, every utilitity under sun and all the toolbars etc etc that you find on the typical computer, it's a dedicated low-cost, working tool. Fits the bill what what I need.

If I expect to do a LOT of work off-site, then I take the laptop which does have more grunt, bigger screen etc, less battery life...

I use Sage ACT! 2011 on Windows 7, within VMWare Fusion for Mac. I have a 2010 model Macbook Pro 17in (see below for specs), and ACT! runs incredibly smoothly. The extra screen real-estate (1920x1200 pixels) allows me to configure my contact, company and opportunity layouts to hold more fields and is a great bonus.

The downside is you can't use Mail or other Mac apps directly with ACT!. I use Microsoft Office instead, and whilst it all runs very smoothly and both Outlook and Mail are synced to the same servers, etc so it's fairly seamless, it does sort of defeat the purpose of using the Mac.

Short answer: If you must use a Mac, you can, but if you're buying hardware just for ACT!, go with a Windows machine.

* The opinions in this post are my own personal opinions, based on my own personal experience, and are not representative of Sage.

My Macbook specs: Macbook Pro 17in 2010 model, 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4