Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Net.framework 2 sp1 breaks Act 10.0

Net.framework 2 sp1 breaks Act 10.0

My company did a silent upgrade to net.framework 2.0 SP1. This upgrade prevents Act from opening in that Act is looking for the prior version/build. I don't see anything in the update/hotfixes that indicate that these upgrades allow a newer version of Net.framework.

IT has reverted me back to net.f~ 2.0, but it only until the next reboot, so I need an ACT fix here which scares the pants off me. I tried the 10.0.1 update and it screwed my computer up so badly I had to have it re-imaged.

Re: Net.framework 2 sp1 breaks Act 10.0

the dufferz,

After applying .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 update, I want you to run MachineConfigUpdater.exe located in C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows.  You'll need a black box quickly flash.  After doing that, try to open ACT!.

There is no program called machineconfigupdater on the computer. Is there a link on the site or a way to extract that from the installation cd?
Nickel Elite Contributor

What do you mean that .NET 2.0SP1 breaks ACT!?  What exactly does or does not happen?

The version you are mentioning here is 10.01 which does NOT contian the MachineConfig component.

Reboot your machine, update your .NET 2.0 to .NET 2.0SP1, install ACT! 10.01.  You may then also want to update your ACT! software through ACTUpdate to get to the latest version which is 10.03.

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden

With net.f~ sp1 is installed I get an error on start-up that act requires version 2.0 build xxx. Past that act will not even attempt to open. That's what I mean by broken.

I have version 10.0.0.237 hotfix1

I mentioned version 10.0.1 because I tried last year to upgrade and it fried act so badly I lost 4 weeks of use and had to have my computer re-imaged (the compter was only 3 months old at the time). To say the least I am scared spitless to do any upgrades. The question is can I skip over .1 and .2 and go right to 10.0.3 and will that fix this problem?

Nickel Elite Contributor

You will be able to go directly to 10.03 from the 10 Gold version that you referenced.  Note that the user experience during the upgrade will uninstall the prior product and then install the 10.03 update.

The procedure to use is this.

1) On the machine with ACT! installed, download the update from ACT.com

2) Reboot your machine

3) Apply the update

That should do it.

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden
Copper Contributor

Nickel Elite Contributor

There is no fix.  There is no way to know what Microsoft may push out and when.  This is an order of operations issue. 

If you install .NET 2.0 SP1 and all other critical MS Updates, then install ACT! and update it, I suspect that the issue you encountered will be resolved.

Note that not all users may experience the issue that you have, and the procedure I am offerring may not apply to the community as a whole, just this situation.

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden

I could imagine that if Microsoft were to bring out a totally new version of a program, compatibility would justifiably be an issue, but it surprises me that a service pack would cripple the program. Perhaps Act is gripping too tight on what is compatible? I can foresee major issues in the future if Microsoft keeps updating and Act won't even recognize a service pack.
Nickel Elite Contributor

An issue like the one you have experience likely came from some component of their security hot fixes.  There is no way to know what .NET 2.x may be vunerable too, so when they release updates to fix "holes", any product that relies on it is subject to issue.  In this case it is the .NET 2.x update and ACT! software which is written in .NET.

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden