Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Needs Help with ACT 2006

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Needs Help with ACT 2006

Our car lot has been using ACT since 2002.  We upgraded back in 2006.  We are still currently using that version.  There are only at most 3 different users on the system.  My boss and I are having no problems at all logging in and using the program.  But when we do log in we are getting this error message below...

There are no available layouts in

\\CASERVER\Cars_Alabama-database\Layouts\

The problem we are having is that we hired a new guy to be the 3rd one in the system.  We have set him up with a user name and password.  When we try and log him in it comes up with that error message a few times then asks us to shut the program down.  I have looked and looked and cannot find where the problem may be at.  The layout that we use IS saved in the correct folder on the server and it is also on everyone's PC.  I know we could upgrade but I would love to be able to fix it.  Any suggestion??????  I really need to get this guy into the system to be able to start using it.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Needs Help with ACT 2006

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.  Right before I was about to try your last suggestion i figured id look one more time for something out of place.  I searched and searched and came across a hidden folder that was called that was called 'Copy of ACT 2006' on the server.  So I copied all of the layouts that were in that folder and transfered them to the correct folder and now it works!

Thanks again!!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

The ACT! program is licensed by the named user, not the number of users logged in at any one time. You would need to get an additional license for the new user. However, licenses for ACT! 2006 are no longer being sold. Your best option is to upgrade.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I do understand that.  We did try to take an old user, a previous person who worked here about 4 months ago, and went under manage users and didn't change his name...but changed his password.  That did not work.  One more thing we tried as well was taking someone user name and password that left here in January. We didn't change anything and under that name we are still having the problem.

How many licenses does ACT! show you as having? If you can, set any unused user account to inactive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

It is showing that I have a total of 4 licenses.  3 are active and that is including the one that cannot log in.  That kind of caught me at first because I know its usally "active status is pending" until first log in.  So judging by that, it is logging in but not locating the layout. Everyone else that is listed in there are listed as inactive.  I wish they would just upgrade but its hard to get anyone to spend money right now!

That sounds like a corrupted user account. Try creating a new account for that user with a new My record and a slightly different name (perhaps include a middle initial). Log in as that person and then delete their old user account and reassign everything to the new account. Be sure to backup the database before you try this fix.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.  Right before I was about to try your last suggestion i figured id look one more time for something out of place.  I searched and searched and came across a hidden folder that was called that was called 'Copy of ACT 2006' on the server.  So I copied all of the layouts that were in that folder and transfered them to the correct folder and now it works!

Thanks again!!

I moved to a new department and they want me to find out if the ACT! 2006 software can be utilized. When they bought it back in 2006, they didn't use it. We have a total of 9 people who want to share databases. Is it possible that they have "used up" the ability to share because they used up their 10 "licenses"? I guess I am not sure the difference between "user" and "license".

GBlack wrote:
I moved to a new department and they want me to find out if the ACT! 2006 software can be utilized. When they bought it back in 2006, they didn't use it. We have a total of 9 people who want to share databases. Is it possible that they have "used up" the ability to share because they used up their 10 "licenses"? I guess I am not sure the difference between "user" and "license".

It's licensed to the number of named active users (Tools | Define Users). Do they have 10 licenses?

I know this topic is old, but there is probably a good chance that people are still having the "There are no available layouts in..." issue as I have.

Luckily for me, the layouts my customer use are the default layouts with ACT, so it made fixing the problem a little easier.

I closed out of ACT and renamed the Layouts folder to Layouts_old so that when ACT next opened it shouldn't find the damaged/missing layouts.

I logged into ACT with a user that I knew had a problem with the layouts and ACT automatically recreated the Layouts folder with the default layouts for ACT and that user now has no problems logging in.

Although the layouts are back to default at least it's working and hopefully for other's who have this problem it won't be too much hassle to recreate your layouts. Also with the Layouts_old folder still available you could probably try work from the layouts in there.

And remember to -always- make a backup before making any changes to the program or the database.