Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need to delete license files and manually start sql svcs every time I start ACT

Copper Contributor

Need to delete license files and manually start sql svcs every time I start ACT

[ Edited ]

Every time I restart my computer, and then restart ACT, I need to go through the following sequence:

1.  Start ACT

2.  Receive message that I need to register ACT (it already is).  If I don't register it I get the option of running it in trial mode for 0 days.  I then navigate to c:\program data and rename KGyGaAvL.sys (and the associated 10 character .sys file) to .old files.

3.  Restart ACT

4.  Get message that it can't open my data file

5.  Go to the windows services app and manually start SQL Server(ACT7)  Some times it is disabled as well and I need to enable it before starting it.

6.  Retry successfully to open my data file.

7.  ACT now runs fine (until the next time I restart my computer)

I'm running ACT Pro 2011 with Hot FIx 6, Windows 7 pro (64 bit) SP1, 8 gb RAM, Office 2010 pro (32 bit), HP EliteBook with Core i5 vPro

This just started about 1 week ago.

Suggestions?

===========================
Ken Wiens
Project and Program Manager
www.kgw-consultants.com
============================
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Need to delete license files and manually start sql svcs every time I start ACT

Hello Ken,
Have you disabled User Account Control (UAC) in Windows? If not, this Knowledgebase article provides instructions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2566...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Re: Need to delete license files and manually start sql svcs every time I start ACT

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions - I have not done this.

I'm curious though as to what functions you think are being stopped by the higher  UAC settings?  Also, if this was the issue, why would it have worked for the previous weeks and then suddenly have started failing this week?

Is it the corruption of the license files or the inability to start SQL server that you think is being held back by the UAC settings?

Thanks,

Ken

===========================
Ken Wiens
Project and Program Manager
www.kgw-consultants.com
============================
Platinum Super Contributor

Ken,

UAC can prevent the registration process from properly updatine the registration files. You can also set ACT! to 'run as administrator' to ensure it has full authority to update the files.  To do this: close ACT! > right click ACT! icon > select Properties > select Compatibility tab > enable 'Run this program as administrator' option (bottom of tab) > click OK to apply and close.  Open ACT! as normal (double click icon) to test.

It also appears you have an issue with SQL not being started.  After rebooting, check the status of the SQL Server (ACT7) service before attempting to launch ACT!: is it started?  If not, you may need to set the Startup Type to 'Automatic - Delayed Start'.  There may conflicts with the number of services attempting to start during boot up.  You noted that it was set to 'Disabled', was this a one time occurance?  I'm not aware of any reason/way for it to set itself to disabled...

Greg Martin
Sage