Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need to backup Act 2007 from outside of Act

Tuned Listener

Need to backup Act 2007 from outside of Act

Hi I have read the posts about this type of backup and am looking a bit deeper into the XCopy way. However, I need to get some info clarified first. I am looking to find out which files are needed to assure the database will be 'intact' for restoration? I don't really understand the Pad file but believe it is not the database. Act is the last data file in my quest to backup all my data on a daily basis. Even have dealt with Quickbooks! Thanks in advance for any and all assistance. Joe ps, I still do the internal backup but not on a 'regular enough' basis!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Need to backup Act 2007 from outside of Act

You need the ADF, the ALF and the files in the supplemental files folder and sub-folders.

You can't backup the ADF and ALF unless you stop the SQL service first
Tuned Listener

Mike Thank You. Just to be sure, I have listed the files/folders I found in my database file folder(with the same name as the .pad one shown in the Help...About to be sure I have the correct one); these are shown: Attachments, Queries(empty), Backup(empty?), layouts, Reports, Templates, Update Summary.htm along with a shortcut with the same name as the active data base. I am assuming I would save the .pad(whatever that is)along with the ADF and ALF files(one each). The stopping of the SQL Service is problematic as I do not know of a way to stop it from within Windows--via the scheduler, at least, and the autobackup program runs via the scheduler. Are you aware of a way? I see the batch/dos file way but that would not be(easily) practical. I really appreciate your help from 'down there'--spring is just about to spring way 'up here' in upstate New York. Thanks Again. Joe

Yes about the files.

Put the NET STOP lines in a BAT file and call that from the scheduler and the NET START lines in a different BAT file to run after the backup
Tuned Listener

Mike I almost have it!! The NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7 results in a system error 1060 -'The specified service does not exist as an installed service' I checked the services name and the SQLAGENT$ACT7 looks to be the name. The Net start command for the SQL agent results in the same error text. With the error(s), the backup runs and produces the correct number of zipped files! I hate like hell to keep bugging you about this, but, can you give me an idea where to look to solve the issue? The idea really is the answer too! Thanks in advance

Tuned Listener

If I start and stop the MSSQL$ACT7 it via a command prompt all is OK--but, again, only one of the commands. the others results in the errors. When I try the other-NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7-I receive the 1030 Error-service does not exist, which it does not, at least according to those shown in the services.msc command. SQLServer Active Directory Helper, SQL Server Browser, SQL Service VSS Writer, and the SQL Server(ACT7), which is named MSSQL$ACT7, are all the services listed in the services.msc display that begin with SQL. Maybe I have somewhat goofy set up here, but that is all I have. The autobackup ran fine last night too. I trust the XP Open File backup allows for a clean backup as my applications are not shut down. Thanks once again. Joe
Nickel Super Contributor

You will need net stop "sql server (act7)" and net start "sql server (act7)"  (you need to include the quotes.)  XP open file backup will NOT backup the files whilst the service is running.

Tom
Tuned Listener

I am beginning to think something is up..... I have no problem starting and stopping the SQL Server (ACT7)--named MSSQL$ACT7, it is the NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7 that is not found. Might this not be needed in all installations? Folowing is the log file from last night's backup: [4:00:00 AM] Operating system: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 [4:00:00 AM] Starting backup for "ACT Test" at 4/2/2008 4:00:00 AM [4:00:00 AM] Execute before action: ""F:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Start Menu\Programs\Backup Stuff\actnetstop.bat"". Run only once: "No" [4:00:09 AM] Checking if the drives of the sources exist [4:00:09 AM] Checking backup destination [4:00:09 AM] Creating the list of files to backup [4:00:09 AM] Files found to backup: 259 [4:00:09 AM] Archiving files to 4_F.zip [4:01:32 AM] Saving backup catalog "L:\Backup for all three backups\ACT Live Data Base Files\Test.bkc" [4:01:33 AM] Starting test on "ACT Test" for backup number 4, the last backup number at 4/2/2008 4:01:33 AM [4:01:33 AM] Testing content of zip L:\Backup for all three backups\ACT Live Data Base Files\Test\4_F.zip Test finished at 4/2/2008 4:01:42 AM, 259 file(s) tested, found 0 error(s) Total number of files added to backup: 259 Total size of files added to backup: 218.62 MB (uncompressed), 66.41 MB (compressed) Number of files excluded : 0 Next scheduled backup: 4/3/2008 4:00:00 AM Backup completed successfully at 4/2/2008 4:01:42 AM with 0 error(s), 0 warning(s) [4:01:42 AM] Sending mail to "joe@brickrow.net" [4:01:43 AM] Execute after action: ""F:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Start Menu\Programs\Backup Stuff\actnetstart.bat"". Run only once: "No" .................... When I look in the Zipped backup file, the documents appear to be there, and I see large ADF and ALF files, along with many others with the ACT icon. Other than a restore, is there any way to determine if I have it correct? I don't mean to turn this into a tech forum and I did not think a backup would be so troublesome. I really appreciate the help. Thanks
Nickel Super Contributor

Sounds like it went ok... you dont need to touch this service SQLAGENT$ACT7 .  The only way you can ever be sure though is a restore.

Tom