Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need to append field data on import - not overwrite. Cannot find any products to do this.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Need to append field data on import - not overwrite. Cannot find any products to do this.

I wish to append a field in ACT, not overwrite, not replace, not skip.  Some say itimport will do that, but there is nothing in the download help files about and they have no phone number to contact.  Anyone know what product will append a field on import?

This is of use on the ACT character field that uses drop down lists and allow multiple selections.  I dont want to import the list, I want to append to the actual field from a csv file.

Ex: I have 5000 contacts with a field called "events attended" and it is a characher drop down list of items, allow multiples, allow user to add to list.  This contact's field has something like (as viewed when exported):

NACC 2006;NBC 2007

I wish to import a csv file and append this to the events attended field:

COG 2008

So that the field for this contact shows in ACT:

NACC 2008;NBC 2008;COG 2008  (the field shows 3 items in the drop down list checked in ACT)

I do not want to overwrite, I need to append. My $300 MergeAdmin do not do append.  Itimport does not say anything about the append option. A long serch of the web did not turn up anything but 1 program that will append to a lookup list inside of ACT, but not on an import from a csv file.  Any ideas????

I tried the ACT import options, but it does not append anything if the contact already has data in that field.  I cannot overwrite because I lose my old data.  I can manually update by adding an item to the list (edit list) and then finding each contact one by one and checking the box, but that is very costly in manpower.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author vcli
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Need to append field data on import - not overwrite. Cannot find any products to do this.

I found a workaround. It was offered by Jeff form The Newhampton Group using their EditAppendField software at www.tnhg.com

1) Add a new dummy field to the ACT database to serve as a reference to do a lookup. It could be say a date or code number.

2) Add the new item you want in the fields drop down list (edit list)

3) In your csv file to import add a column with that new field name and populate the column with what ever code or date you want.

4) Then used my MergeAdmin to bring in the new field and match it up to my existing contacts.

5) In ACT, do a lookup for that code or date for that new field to create a lookup list of all the people I need to append my data to.

6) Run the EditAppendField form inside ACT and append the data I want to everyone in the lookup list.  ACT keep the old data and appends what I need to the end of my field drop down list value and places a check in the box next to the appended value.

cool

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author vcli
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Need to append field data on import - not overwrite. Cannot find any products to do this.

I found a workaround. It was offered by Jeff form The Newhampton Group using their EditAppendField software at www.tnhg.com

1) Add a new dummy field to the ACT database to serve as a reference to do a lookup. It could be say a date or code number.

2) Add the new item you want in the fields drop down list (edit list)

3) In your csv file to import add a column with that new field name and populate the column with what ever code or date you want.

4) Then used my MergeAdmin to bring in the new field and match it up to my existing contacts.

5) In ACT, do a lookup for that code or date for that new field to create a lookup list of all the people I need to append my data to.

6) Run the EditAppendField form inside ACT and append the data I want to everyone in the lookup list.  ACT keep the old data and appends what I need to the end of my field drop down list value and places a check in the box next to the appended value.

cool

Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Super Contributor

There is a bug in EditAppendField (EAF) that I reported to the company. There is an easy work around. The $69 addon works as described - append or remove checked items in a dropdown field without affecting the other checked items. You have to set EAF up one time to trigger when you first use it. I set it to add a menu item Edit>Append Field in ACT. When you choose Edit>Append Field, a box pops up allowing you to append or replace a checked item in the current record or lookup. You can either append or remove it.  It works great.  But the bug is if you want to append another item, you have to close ACT and open the database up fresh. If you do not and choose Edit>Append Edit a second time, it will not pop up the box, but it will repeat the last append you did (repeats the last command). As long as you close ACT after each use, you are fine.

I would think that the people at ACT would see the real need for an Append Field menu command to go along with their Copy Field, Replace Field, and Swap Field menu items.  I am now up to 4 purchased addons to get ACT to function usefully. Most of the difficulties have been getting the data into ACT without making a mess of things.

1) "Abacus" to internally calculate fields using formulas - assign a region by state, assign rep by region, total up sales, etc.

2) "MergeAdmin" to accurately control externally the way data record goes into ACT.

3) "Duplicate Remover Wizard" to externally assist the pathetic internal ACT "Scan for Duplicates" and "Copy/Move Contact Data" menu items.

4) "EditAppendField" to internally append data to dropdown checkbox fields without losing old data.

Copper Super Contributor

Good News.  I told the software writer Geoff at tnhg.com of the bug in EAF and he fixed it within 24 hours and it works. His program works flawlessly now. It is posted on his web site as version 3.1.3