Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need recommendation for Add-ons

Need recommendation for Add-ons

I have been using ACT 2009 Pro for a couple of years.  We rely heavily on the scheduling function to schedule students at our tutoring center.  I would like to add functionality to do the followiing:

1. Add an attendance function (data entry form)  in which the system would read from the schedule (activities) and allow the user to record additional information, including whether the student was present,  effort (satisfactory, good, very good, excellent - from a drop-down menu), and general comments.
  2. Once the attendance has been saved, I would like to send an email (to a different contact -- the parent)  which shows the information that was entered on the attendance form.

I would appreciate if anyone can comment on a) the feasibilty of this and b) what ACT add-on(s) I might need to accomplish this.

I am open to creating this in an external application (MS-Access, for example), but am not aware of how to access the ACT SQL database via ODBC.

Thanks,

Art

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Need recommendation for Add-ons

1. Can be done with one of the three tools to create custom tables: itTables, Durkin Toolkit or Topline Designer

2. I think this would need some custom development

Mike,

Thank you.   When you say  it would need custom development, are you saying that this would require something other than the configuration of any of the tools that you mentioned?  Some type of scripting?  External objects?  Use of APIs?

Perhaps the next step is to try one of these tools and see how far I can get.

Thanks,

Art

Platinum Elite Contributor

None of them will email data from one Contact to another, and none will include data from the custom tables... This would need some development using the ACT! SDK
Bronze Super Contributor

I am not sure of the other two but Impact – Business Suite has its own merge engine allowing the users to merge data from almost any record. For instance:

In the opportunity module you can merge any fields onto a quote/invoice from the attached contact, company and/or group tables.

In the calendar and task list module you can merge any field from the contact and or activity into the email or word document. You can also add custom fields directly to the activity 'Edit Activity' window and merge those fields such as attendance information, mileage, actual hours on site, ect.

In the custom table module you can merge any field from the parent tables (Contacts, companies, groups or opportunities) into the word template.  Using word tables you can create one-to-many lists from the parent-child custom tables.

These are just a few palaces off the top of my head that our merge engine far exceeds the native merge functions.

Answering your two questions:

Add an attendance function (data entry form)  in which the system would read from the schedule (activities)

With Impact you can either extend the native Activity table or create a new custom table called “Events”

These ‘Events’ records will be displayed on the task list and calendar views the same as an activity is displayed.

Either option will allow you to capture your additional required information.

Once the attendance has been saved, I would like to send an email (to a different contact -- the parent)  which shows the information that was entered on the attendance form.
Under this condition I would create a custom table named “Events”  Records in this table would be attached to the ‘parent’ contact record. Inside of each event record you create an activity record which is attached to the child contact. If you want to shorten the data- work flow process you can create a "Linked" button on the event form to populate the infromation from the child contact directly removing the step of created an event and an activity for each.

If you download the free trial you can check out more:

http://www.durkincomputing.com/

Thanks

-- Jim Durkin