Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need help with understand how to view ACT 2013 database on both laptop and desktop in the same room

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Need help with understand how to view ACT 2013 database on both laptop and desktop in the same room

I purchased a single copy of ACT 2013.  I am the only user.

I want to be able to view my ACT database from both my laptop (where it's currently) and also my desktop located in the same room.  Both devices are running Windows 8.

What's the best or easiest way to accomplish this?

Please help.  Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author atomarchio
‎11-19-2015 04:09 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Need help with understand how to view ACT 2013 database on both laptop and desktop in the same room

Thar's correct because the SQL server actually manages the database, ACT! doesn't directly manage the database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Need help with understand how to view ACT 2013 database on both laptop and desktop in the same room

First you would need to network the two computers together if you haven;t done so already. Install the ACT! program on both computers and setup database synchronization between the two computers via the network.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes they are both on the same network in my home.

How would I do this?  Can the database reside on an external hard drive connected to router via USB cable?  Is that preferred?

Please let me know.  Thanks.

Setting up database synchronization isn't difficult. However because there are ACT! Help information and more comprehensive knowledge base documents on the subject, I won't try to provide specific instructions here. You might also consider engaging the services of an ACC to help you setup synchronization.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

okay. what is an ACC?

Is it possible to move my act database to the USB hard drive connected to router? Then I could access from any computer on my network? How difficult is that?

ACC - ACT! Certified Consultant,

No the ACT! database must be on a local hard drive.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Super Contributor

You can have your Act! on your desktop as a server...  and you can create a remote database for laptop ( With Act! PRO - This remote database synchronize by the local network when you return to your office or Desktop location ) 

Good luck - Buena Suerte

(soporte@praxisol.com)

33.png

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com

The database can't be on it's own then just sitting on a hard drive, is that correct? Or am I missing something?
Solution
Accepted by topic author atomarchio
‎11-19-2015 04:09 AM

Thar's correct because the SQL server actually manages the database, ACT! doesn't directly manage the database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I forgot about that.

Is there an online or "cloud" based solution that I could upload my existing database to?  

I have about 2,500 contacts and am only using calendaring and entering notes on them.   I don't need any of the other features.

Please let me know.  Thanks.