Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need help with restoring data after Hard Drive Crash

Need help with restoring data after Hard Drive Crash

Hi...

I recently had a hard drive crash.  We sent our hard drive out and got the data files off of it and it was returned on an external hard drive.  Our Act files, fortunately were ON there.

We are have a lan network, and have 2 licenses for Act! 2010.  We run on Windows XP.  I uninstalled the Act program and then re-installed them on both computers.  (each computer has it's own Act!  program and they are the same.)  I restored as to get my database to open, but there was no contacts in there.  So i imported from the external hard drive where our info was stored.  However, I had customized the Contacts Layout, and those customized changes didn't show up.  When i tried to add the 2nd computer, I copied the .pad from my computer, then copied it onto the network drive.  When I opened up the client computer, I copied that folder to the database folder, then double clicked it to open.  It won't open. 

So....I have a few questions here

1.  How do I get back the customizations that i did?

2.  How do i get the database to open on the client computer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Need help with restoring data after Hard Drive Crash

Hello Demetria,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

1. Customizations:  customized layouts, templates, attachments, etc. are contained within the 'databasename - database files' folder.  You will need to copy it from the crashed hard drive files - you can copy the contents into the existing 'database files' folder (it would create a new folder if the original was not present when the db was opened).

2. Open on client computer:  to make sure I understand your description - you copied the PAD file to the workstation and attempted to open the db using that PAD file.  What is the message you are receiving when you attempt to open the database?

On the hosting computer, check Tools > Database Maintenance > Share Database - if it is not checked, click on it to enable sharing.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the help.  I got my customization back, but i still can't get the database shared with the client computer.  It says that the database can't open and that i need to check my network connection, but i'm not have trouble sharing anything else with that computer.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.  We own an accounting firm and we are starting to get into tax season.  Thanks!

Beth

Beth,

There can be many reasons for a shared database failing to open on a workstation - here is an article that covers most situations: KB Article 19640

If the database has been set to 'Shared', I recommend trying the step to add exceptions to your firewall/anti-virus software first.  then try the IP address in the PAD file.  These steps are included in the article.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg...

Thanks for the help.  Here's what's happening now.  I set my firewall to allow all the exceptions that it needed and we can share fine now.  HOWEVER,   When my hard drive crashed, we had to send it off to get the data retrieved.  They sent it back on an external hard drive.   I deleted ACT!  on the client computer, and Reinstalled on the host computer.  I then restored ACT! on the host computer from the External Hard Drive.  At first it wasn't showing the customized fields that i had added, but then i tried importing and it worked.  Now even though we can share, i can figure out how to make this customized fields show up in the Act on the client computer.  I was thinking about doing a "restore as", but if i change the name of the database to do the restore as, will we be able to share still?  I've about had it with ACT!  I know it's a good program or we wouldnt' have purchased it in the first place, but i'm getting frustrated.   I do appreciate your help! 

If you are referring to the fields not showing on the Contact Detail screen, you may need to change the selected layout.  You can also see if the fields are in the database open on the workstation by going to the Contact List view > selecting  View > Customize Columns and reviewing the list of fields available.

It is possibe that you are accessing 2 different databases with the same name.  At this point it may be easiest to create a backup of the 'good' database and then restore it on the host machine using 'Restore As' to give it a new name.  Then you can share out this new database.

Greg Martin
Sage

Ty Greg.  I hate to sound dumb, but how do you change the selected layout?  Let me make sure that I am understanding what you are saying for me to do.  I do a back up on the host computer, then do a "Restore As" on the host giving the database a new name, then share that database.  Do I do this by copying the .pad file to the client computer, and then double clicking on it to open?  (After i have of course checked Sharing in the host copy of ACT.)

To change the layout - while in the Contact Detail screen look at the menu bar just above the contact information.  The bar that has buttons for Detail View and List View - to the far right end.  It may say 'Basic Contact Layout' at the moment, you can click on it and select a different layout.

If you go with the 'Restore As' route, you are correct - you will do the restore (Restore As) on the host, set the new database to Share, and then copy the PAD file to the workstation to open the database. 

Greg Martin
Sage

i am having issues trying to open my old data base on a new machine, this was caused by the pad file not locating the ADF file, i have created a new database with same name ( and also tried with another name ) and then deleted the pad file and when you open act it says "the last database opened cannot be located" i then change from pad lookup to ADF and then point at the database it says the database you are attempting to open must be upgraded to a newer version.after the update, the database cannot be used with old version of act, i continue and get the data base "new_london" cannot be opened because it is a version 661, this server supports version 612 and earlier, a downgrade path is not supported. could not open databade create database is aborted , this is running on act2009 , i have bought a copy of 2011 too but not having any joy where am i going wrong and what do i need to do to resolve ?? regards rob

Hello Rob,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

The message refering to 'version 661' indicates that the database has been created/opened with the Microsoft SQL 2008 program and the current installation of SQL is 'MS SQL 2005'. 

Act! 2009 comes with SQL 2005 Express and Act! 2011 comes with SQL 2008 Express. 

If you have a backup file of your original database (*.zip) created before the database was touched by SQL 2008, that backup file can be restored with Act! 2009.  Otherwise, the only way to open that particular database will be with SQL 2008 (basically by upgrading to Act! 2011).

You mention having purchased Act! 2011, are you having an issue trying to install it?

Greg Martin
Sage