Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need help moving program to a new PC, but db won't backup. Probably screwed?

Need help moving program to a new PC, but db won't backup. Probably screwed?

Hey Guys

I've been dealing with the inability to backup my database for about a year now.  It's the "Cannot insert duplicate key row" error. I have a separate thread about trying to fix the problem but I suspect I'm going to have to move from this software for another so I wanted to start doing some research for alternatives if that ends up being the case.

I'm not working in real estate as much so I kept putting it on the backburner and checking for solutions every couple of months.  I added a bit of data but not as much as I used to when I was selling full time.  My PC is on it's last legs so I'm going to buy a new one and this is the last migration issue I have.  Time is running out.

I've searched and tried everything I could find over the last year.  Updated database, batch files, repair database, etc.  The threads follow a common theme:  someone asks a question, a mod or expert asks a follow up question, the OP responds, then the thread dies.  Sometimes someone else pops in and says they are having the same problem and it's a known issue.

So for those of you who could not solve this issue, what did you ultimately do?  Is there a competitor that can take my most recent backup (from last year) and import the information into their software?  At this this pont I'm assuming that the software is useless and I'm going to end up losing data when I get a new PC.  I just want to minimize the damage from ACT so any tips would be apprecated.

In the meantime I'll give one last shot with the other thread asking for a fix, but after so many searches it's obvious that there are some people out there who simply lose their program and data.  It's probably time for me to accept that and start making other plans.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Need help moving program to a new PC, but db won't backup. Probably screwed?

Even without a backup you could have the database repaired by a repair service. To send it to the serice all you woulld  need to do is detach the database and send the ADF, ALF and supplemental files to the service center. We do have such a repair service and you can fill out the request on our web site, techbenders.com.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Need help moving program to a new PC, but db won't backup. Probably screwed?

Thanks for the response.  I've bookmarked the thread and I'll getin touch with you if that's the way I decide to go!