Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need a new email client

Copper Contributor

Need a new email client

[ Edited ]

I have a bit of a problem with email and hope someone can help.

I'm using ACT! 2007 but willing to upgrade if newer versions can do what I need here.

I have several important clients using Lotus Notes.  I use Microsoft Outlook (2003).  The two systems don't work well together -- Microsoft uses the TNEF format for email and Notes doesn't handle it well (garbles attachments, drops text on replies and forwards).  I need to find another email client that can send HTML email.

I like Outlook 2003 because I can send email without having ACT! open all the time.  It will log the email and keep history. I also have 5-6 email addresses for various organizations I support.

I won't use ACT! email -- can't place the email store on my server and very difficult to backup and restore.  Got burned badly on this in the past.  Continues to be a pet peeve of mine re: ACT!

Outlook Express and Eudora are possibilities but you have to have ACT! open and use the email interface.  It's clunky and slow.  I'd like to use a client that can read/sync with the ACT! contact database and keep history as Outlook 2003/ACT! interface can.

Any suggestions?

Message Edited by MSIMON1960 on 01-26-2009 10:17 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Need a new email client

Your options outside of Act email and outlook are limited to Eudora and Lotus notes. Neither of which I would recommend to a friend. =\

My suggestion:  Upgrade to ACT09, Office07 and Vista.  Use Outlook for email.

The improvement over what you're using is staggering.  Things actually work pretty well.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the feedback -- I appreciate the help. 

Unfortunately, I can't use Outlook 2007 -- it still uses the TNEF format and it can't be shut off unless you are using Exchange Server according to the tech papers I've read so far.

I don't use an Exchange Server -- mine is a standalone installation of Outlook.  Even switching to 'text only' mode doesn't help in this situation -- it still uses TNEF handling attachments.

I take it that ACT! 2009 does not fully support any other email system than it's built in unit (Ugh!) or Outlook?  The Eudora and Outlook Express support is quirky (send and receive doesn't function properly) and there is no history tracking as it is handled by Outlook.  Suggestion for development.

Matthew.

Copper Contributor

Eudora has always worked well for me in the past but I totally agree regarding Lotus Notes -- it's a clunker and a total pain whenever I've had a client using it.

To be fair however, the basic problem is with Microsoft Outlook.  Their reliance on the non-standard TNEF format is another example of Microsoft's arrogance and lack of concern with delivering a trouble free experience for their customers.  Wherever possible I use non-Microsoft applications because Microsoft has a tendency to suddenly drop product lines without providing a reasonable upgrade path.  Examples: FoxPro to Access, Frontpage to Web Expression, Microsoft Fax to Outlook.

Nickel Contributor

Then again... how many people (other than our OP here) are really using Lotus notes? I personally have never had any issues w/ Outlook.

Not to pick at things, but I think SQL was the progression that followed FoxPro, yes they abandoned the flat db style, but left it for a much more powerful relational DB.

Copper Contributor

I run across the TNEF problem on a regular basis.  I work around it by using a webmail interface -- clunky, but it works.  I'm just dreaming about a non-TNEF client that would work with ACT!

SQL is a database engine but there is no frontend application development tool (screen designer, report writer, etc.).  You need to use something else like Access or Visual Basic to interact with it.  The VBA/ADO/DAO structure of Access is a mess -- looked at it seriously for about a week and then ran screaming from the room.  It's really only suitable for full-time professionals once you need to go beyond the WYSIWYG and start writing code.

Seems that software these days is polarizing -- either becoming something so complex and expensive that only a computer science person can use or so basic and cheap that it's nearly useless.  I miss the days when those of us in the middle, trying to get some work done, had the tools to do it ourselves.