Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need a new computer

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Need a new computer

Hi All,

My Dell 6400 is acting weird after 3 years, I may need to puchase a new machine and I wanted to check for advice on the Act forum, I'm running Act 9. and would prefer not to update unless absolutely necessary, I'm still stinging from the ver 7 and 8 fiasco.

In the past it was suggested to go with a 7200 rpm hardrive. I've been looking at replacement machines, 2+ gig, duo processors, 4 gig of ram and most of them seem to have 5400 rpm drives, should I search on a 7200, should that be hard and fast parameter?

Also OS offered are anything from XP Professional and Win 7 both 32 and 64 bit versions. I don't think I saw any Vista OS.

Any advice or is there anything I need to know?  I haven't been keeping up to speed on newer versions of ACT and issues, so your knowledgable help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack56
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Need a new computer

If you want the best performance:

• 7200RPM drive for laptop (10K for desktop) - the drive speed is MUCH more important than processor for SQL
  • 4GB RAM
  • Windows 7 x64 - The x64 to take advantage of RAM over 3GB
  • ACT! 2010 (needed for Win7 x64) - it's also quite a bit faster than previous versions and has many new functions

View solution in original post

All Replies

Don't compromise on hard drive RPM and RAM. 7200 or 10K for the hard drive and 4G RAM if you plan on using Vista or Windows 7. If you want to use a 64-bit OS then plan on upgrading to the latest version of the ACT! program, ACT! 9 can't be used with a 64-bit OS.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Super Contributor

Another note about Act 2007 (V9), only the Standard version was certified to run on Vista - the Premium version was not.  While you my get Act 2007 Standard to install on a Windows7 OS (32 bit) it has not been certified, nor is it supported, on that OS.
Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack56
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

If you want the best performance:

• 7200RPM drive for laptop (10K for desktop) - the drive speed is MUCH more important than processor for SQL
  • 4GB RAM
  • Windows 7 x64 - The x64 to take advantage of RAM over 3GB
  • ACT! 2010 (needed for Win7 x64) - it's also quite a bit faster than previous versions and has many new functions

Great...  bought a new laptop for business and cannot use the ACT! 2007 version 9 that I currently have.  Well I believe if I need to buy ACT! 2010 then I will just look into other contact/customer manager software.

You'd only need to buy an upgrade... many products of that age will have issues with Windows 7

I understand the buying of an upgrade. I believe there are better products than ACT! out there.

Certainly... but not at anywhere near the price.

ACT! has won the major awards in it's category for the past two years (ACT! 2009 and ACT! 2010)