Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need a little advice/insight

Astute Commentator

Need a little advice/insight

We are trying to figure out the easiest way to sort by birtday (Month/day) from our database to create a list in order.

The issue is that our contacts are set up so that the husband and wife are on one contact record with one containing the birthday field, and the other with a spouse birthday field.

Using the annual events lookup creates a mess of data to sort/convert into the list since you cant straight out sort them due to them having a year attached to the date...

Anybody know an easy way to fix this?

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Need a little advice/insight

There are several ways to do it.  I would create groups using a query and in the query specify that the month of "Birth Date" = 1 for January.  You would have 24 groups because you'd probably want separate groups for the spouses but then you could just create a lookup from the group once a month and print out a list of the contacts to send birthday cards to.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Astute Commentator

Hey Stan,

I appreciate the reply.

I just tried that and while it does work, I think the main issue comes when creating the lookup. Since both Primary and spouse are on the same record, in order to figure out if it is the spouse or the primary's birthday on the lookup you sort of have to nitpick through them all

Idk, im stuck on this

Silver Super Contributor

That was why I suggested creating group rules to do the work.  You'll need to do a little work to set it up but you will only need to do it once.  Another option is writing a custom report.  You could write a report that would do it with Crystal Reports.

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Silver Super Contributor

After rereading my original post I see that I just said to set up groups using a query rather than to set up groups using group rules.  That was what I meant to say.  Right click on the group and select group membership and you will see what I meant.  You will want to set up dynamic membership using criteria.  Once you have done that you can right click on the group and select create lookup to get the contacts born in that month.

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com