Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need Microsoft SQL

Tuned Listener

Need Microsoft SQL

Dumb question. We have two copies of ACT 9.0 on two different workstations each using XP. The shared database is on one of these two machines, both of which are in the same office. Do we still have to use MS SQL in this setup? I ask because ACT!2007 is operating much slower than we were used to with ACT!2000. Thanks.
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Need Microsoft SQL

You will need to install it but you can disbale the act 7 instance on the machine not hosting the db.  This will prevent you from opening local dbs on that machine though.

Tom
Tuned Listener

How do you disable the MS SQL on the machines not hosting the database? Also, if I install ACT!9 on a third workstation, is there something I should do during installation to avoid setting up MS SQL? Thanks for the help.
Nickel Super Contributor

You can disable to ACT7 instance through the Services window.

Go to Start / Run and type in services.msc
Scroll down until you find SQL Server (ACT7) / right click on it and go to Properties.
Stop the service and change the dropdown from Automatic to Disabled.

It is highly recommended that you do not prevent the ACT install from installing SQL and instead disable it after install. In the even that there is an issue that would require some troubleshooting on a local database, you would not be able to to that until SQL has been installed and ACT is able to connect to it.
Tuned Listener

One other note, if you use the ACT! email client with POP3 that uses the local sql server instance, so the server will have to be turned on for that.
Platinum Elite Contributor

There are also a number of other things that can cause slowness.
Including the processor speed, RAM and HDD speed on both machines and how they have been set up