Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need Help with Mac and ACT

Need Help with Mac and ACT

I have been using Act for many years in my business. I have notes and activities that date back for 13 years. I recently went from a PC to a MAC. I understand that there is no ACT for MAC and to use it, I must do a parallel.

I need my ACT. Why doesn't ACT have a version of MAC?? I need my ACT.

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of doing this parallel with ACT? Will the program function correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nickel Contributor

Re: Need Help with Mac and ACT

Hi Clubrcr

I'm not a product manager, but I'd assume that the main reason that there's not a native Mac version of Act! is that there's not enough exclusive market for it.

There are a lot of Macs out there nowadays, but it's pretty common to see Mac users using Bootcamp and/or Parallels for many things. Since there's a "workaround" already in place, there's not as much need to hire an entirely new development team to rewrite the .NET portions of the program that aren't compatible with OSX. Or to hire extra support staff that have Mac experience.

Both of these would significantly increase the cost of the program.

The other options would be to write it in something platform-neutral like Java (requiring a complete rewrite) or taking it entirely online, which is a whole different can of worms.

Have you looked into having your Act! database hosted by one of our hosting partners? You'd need Act! Premium, but you could access it via web or remote access without having to use Parallels.
Damien Park
Swiftpage

Re: Need Help with Mac and ACT

I really want to have control of my act on my own computer without replying on a host. I have done searches and read up on this and looked at two options. First I can run a parallel and run ACT alongside the MAC OS. I am not crazy about that. I guess another option is trying to find a CRM software that I can offload my notes and activities, as well as my contacts into. I am a financial advisor and have notes and activities from many years. But, I only use a small percentage of ACT's total capabilities. I think I could find something.....