Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Need Help to demote a Domain Controller running ACT 2006

Need Help to demote a Domain Controller running ACT 2006

I have ACT 2006 installed on a Windows 2000 server that is a domain controller. We need to demote the server but keep ACT 2006 available to the domain users. I am thinking we'll need to uninstall ACT from the server, do the dcpromo, then reinstall?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Need Help to demote a Domain Controller running ACT 2006

You shouldn't need to uninstall ACT!, just follow the Microsoft procedures on demoting the DC and I think you should be ok:

<<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238369>>

-Matt 

Matthew McFadden

Thanks for the response Matt. I am just concern that doing the dcpromo will break SQL applications, since ACT is dependent on SQL Server 2000.

It should not "break" any communication. Your SQL account should be running under the Local System account, so it should not change after the demotion. IF it did, you could always change the login account to a local account, then try changing it back to the Local System account.

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! services all use Local Service logins by default, which shouldn't be dependant on the domain.

The users should all (hopefully) have the same credentials on the new PDC

Thanks for the information. I check the server and the MYSQL$ACT service is running on the local system account. The users are members of the 2008 domain but they have a separate logins for ACT. So after the demotion they should still be able to access the ACT database?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Provided the group still have Full Control of the Database folder, it should work.