Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NEW TO ACT - SEVERAL DATABASES

NEW TO ACT - SEVERAL DATABASES

I have been using ACT for a few months now - but I have several different databases.  I want to be able to open 2 or 3 at a time - is that possible?

Thanks!

Janet Carriger
Copper Super Contributor

Re: NEW TO ACT - SEVERAL DATABASES

Unfortunately, ACT does not allow for multiple databases to be opened at once.  Is there a reason you need more than one database?  It is far easier to work in 1 database, and segment the database using certain fields, than to manage multiple databases and calendars.
Cindy Gavelek, M.Ed., ACC
Confluence
cgavelek@confluencecorp.com

here is what I have - maybe you can explain.

I have 3 databases that I need to have access all day -

They are different companies - they are a client list - for each company.  Would it work - using one database.......
Platinum Elite Contributor

You could use Groups or a feild to identify which contacts belong to which company.

It's better to have everything in a single database

Thank you so much - I will try that!  I really appreciate your help.  Have a great day!

Warm Regards,

Janet Carriger
Employee

Janet,
One thing that I would suggest looking at is using the dynamic groups feature.  This allows you to create a relationship between information entered in to a field and the groups that you have created. 

Example:  I created  a field called Contact Activity Status.  I built a drop down list inside of the field that one could select either "active" or "inactive". 

After I created the field I then went into my groups section and set up a group called Contact Activity Status and then set up two sub-groups below which were called "active" and "inactive". 

Once you have set up the groups you can click on the button that is named "Add/Remove Contacts" which is located under the notes and history tabs for your group. 

Once you have clicked on this it will bring you to a new screen where you can either click on a "contacts" button or a button named "edit criteria". 

In order to set up a dynamic relationship between information typed in to the field and the group that you want the contact to be associated with you need too click on the "edit criteria" button.

Once here ,set up the rules for your query.  Example:  In order to get my contacts, that I selected as active, to be automatically entered into my  Active Group I set up a query that reads like this.

Type                             Field Name                               Operator                                Value
Contact                        Contact Activity Status              equal to                                 Active

With this query set up any time I enter in a  Contact and I select this field as Active the contact is automatically added to this group.  I hope this information is useful.  This is just one example out of thousands of different ways that you can manage all of your contacts under one database. 

Chris Smith
ACT! Sales Supervisor

Thanks so much!  Great info.  I should have joined this forum months ago - everybody is so helpful!